Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Poems Galore

I'm still unsure about Dogma Publications and their poetry anthologies. Some people at my writing group mentioned it was good only poem was selected but also wondered why I would have to buy the book. One woman suggested I check on Amazon and some of the anthologies are up for sale. Fifteen quid for a paperback does seem very high though. I will give them a good 'googling' and see if anything comes up there.

I came across a wonderful quote in a mailing list for freelance writers that I subscribe to. It is their Thought for the Week:

"What no wife of a writer can ever understand is that a writer is working when he's staring out of the window."~ Burton Rascoe ~

I am going to show it to Gail.

I finished lining up and proofreading Brick by Brick and created a PDF out of it. Now it is completed I shall send it off to the Poetry Free-For-All organisers in readiness for the big giveaway.

On May 1st, I encourage all my readers, friends and other blog readers passing through to download a copy of my e-book from the link provided. It will only be available from the site for 24 hours, after which I may put it up on my own site. We shall see. The book is free and can be read on any PC, PDA or mobile device with Acrobat Reader installed.

For further information please see: http://poetrysuperhighway.com/pshffa.html

I reorganised my completed poems into genre and where I had split themes I copied completed poems into each category. It showed some interesting results: 5 Corporate poems, 2 Edinburgh poems, 3 Everyday Object poems, 1 Glasgow poem, 1 Health poem, 1 Homeless poem, 9 Kids poems, 4 Love poems and 1 Writers poem. I also had 12 poems classed as 'Not Submittable', which I pulled out of retirement and will work on more.

This analysis led me to thinking I should write more about these and other themes more so as to get about work together for submitting as actual body's of work. And so my pen met with pad and I wrote the first drafts of 3 poems under the corporate banner.

We went to visit our friends Sarah and Rob last night. Sarah gave birth to wee Charlie three weeks ago and we went round to get a swatch of him. He's lovely; really cute and oh so tiny. Gail was shocked I wanted to hold him. Normally I have a thing about holding really tiny babies but I didn't mind this time when offered. Maybe I'm reaching my natural time for this type of thing.

Next up is Lily, the new addition to Dave's rapidly overflowing home with females. Can't wait to see her also.

At home, I went over some more of the poems I have been rejuvenating and sent off my e-book to the Poetry E-book Giveaway. I have 15 new poems in my armoury now, some of which I might post to various forums for critting first.

Still got lots to do before the end of the month, the most pressing of which is the sitcom script, which is still unstarted.
Colin 10:58 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment