Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, April 15, 2005

The Big Move

Gail and me worked late last night finishing up the nitty bits of packing and got less sleep than we probably should have with which to charge our batteries to full for the day ahead. As it was, we got up sharp and went round to look at the new house with Laura before we took her to school.

There wasn’t much time for reflection; that would come later. Some mail had already arrived when we walked in; paperwork for next week's broadband installation and a letter from Dogma Publications. I submitted three poems to them online and one of them - The Lamp - was accepted for an anthology. The trouble is, the author doesn't get a free copy and it "may not be available to buy after it's limited publication run". It sounds to me like another con so I'll check them out with my writing group when I get back on line.

I went down to the van hire centre with Ian (FIL) to pick up the Luton van and met Gail back round at the flat to start loading up at 9am precisely. My friend, Zander, arrived soon after and by 11 o'clock we had loaded the van with the first shift of furniture and boxes and unloaded it into the new house. The rain threatened to start but held off enough.

Back round at the flat, we loaded up again and as we were loading the last of our gear the new owners turned up in their own truck. Hunger was also settling in so we stopped off after loading it and had lunch at Gail’s Mum's house who had made soup and bacon rolls.
By the time we restarted, the lactic acid build-up in my arms had made me stiff and it took a while to get going again. Laura joined us after school and helped to carry the smaller bags and before long, the house and garage was filling up with all our stuff.

There was one more trip to make and me, Ian and Zander headed round to Ian's storage shop to pick up the last of the boxes and our new bathroom suite; to be installed at a later date.

With that done the move to the new house was complete and the only thing left carry in was a small bag containing a bottle of red wine, a loaf of bread and a box of salt with a large 'X' on it. The bread and wine would be consumed later and the salt went into the cupboard where it will remain, unused. These three items were recommended by a friend to bring happiness and joy to our new life in our new home.

We set up the stereo and the first tune to played in the house was Gangsters by The Specials. I showered and got the television working while Zander went home to freshen up. Gail's friend Susie then joined us all back in the living room where I bought everyone a Chinese meal and we drank until 4.30am to celebrate our new home. I popped a bottle of Mo Et Chandon and Zander helped me with an annoying bottle of vodka that had been hanging around in a box for way too long.

To top it all off, Zander agreed to sell me a ticket to a small concert involving Oasis in Edinburgh next month when they play the Usher Hall.

I woke up on Saturday after only 4 hours sleep - probably due to the excitement of being the new house. Laura, who we thought would have a bad night, slept solid until 8 o'clock; she must have got herself so excited she knackered herself out.

The process of unpacking and cleaning began and it took most of the day. Gail took Laura out to the shops to get some essentials and I explored the attic for the first time. I was surprised but delighted to see it is big enough to hold another bedroom should we want to expand as well as the presence of a wine brewery; just my thing!

Ian turned up for day one of the restoration and decoration of Laura's room. At the moment she has a temporary bedroom in what will be my study so her room can be replastered and everything else that is to come.

The new phone line isn't getting connected until Monday and so I have to wait until then to get onto my computer. Internet withdrawal symptoms are now becoming an issue.

Gail's brother, partner and 1 year-old son arrived for a visit and to see the new house in the afternoon, and in the evening Gail's pal Sam came down and we had a few drinks. I was very tired from the previous night and and lugging around fo boxes anc leaning, but I got my second wind at about midnight. We played the age-old "Guess Who You Are" game with post-its on our foreheads, which provided much amusement.

By Sunday morning I was glad to get a hint of a lie-in. When I did get up it was another day spent cleaning and clearing around the house; well until half past one when my parents arrived from the West to visit the house for the first time.

They brought a steak pie and vegetables dinner with some lentil soup and we had a rare meal. My dear mother got a little tipys-wipsy after several glasses of wine and a couple of Bailey's Irish Creams to wash it all down.

When they left and after Ian had finished working in Laura's room, Gail and I sat down, together and alone, for the first time in our new home and shared a drink together. Bliss.

I went to bed on Sunday night relaxed and more happy than I have been for a long time. I've moved house/flat several times in my life but this has been by far the biggtest and most meaningful. When I moved in with Gail ti was her flat and I had to arrange everything around an already determined way of life and planned decor. It never really felt like my home in the last place.

In saying that, I do have some wonderful memories; proposing to Gail by the tree on Christmas Day, leaving with my Best Man to be married, the many great parties we have had - and hangovers the next day to name but a few.

Moving into the house means a lot though, because we chose it together and we will decorate it together. In a way, it has brought us more together becuase under the surface, I am sure she knows that it has seen a difference in the pride I feel to being able to say, "that's my house".

Next morning Gail left early for work with Laura at 7am and apparently on the way out the door she shouted goodbye but I didn't hear for my snoring. She was jealous I had thought of taking today off to work in the house instead of going to the office, but it allowed me to get on and take delivery of some items we ordered.

I finished clearing the kitchen of boxes and mopped and polished the floor with bleach until I could see my face in it. Then I sorted out all the CD's and got some of my clothes sorted out that still exist in bags and cases. I emptied more boxes and found places for the items they held and generally tidied up.

First to arrive was our brand new washing machine and dishwasher. In the afternoon the cable guy arrived and got us setup with cable television, broadband internet connection and a new phone line complete with new phone number. When he left I put together my PC in the kitchen and got everything ready for going online again. I'll still be on dial-up until Laura's room is complete, then I can move into my study and start on broadband and a new, dedicated area for writing. I'm planning on getting a new tank for my goldfish and I'll be able to erect my record player again and start moving my vast vinyl and cassette tape collection onto CD.

It's going to be great living here. We have settled in so quickly and the house is large enough that for the first time in years we don't feel like we are living in each other's pockets like before.

I'm glad the move is over though. It was a long weekend, but a joyous one. Tomorrow, it's back to the routine!
Colin 11:33 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment