Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Countdown To The Move

I got up just before 9am after Gail had left and checked my e-mail. It was the last time I spent at the computer with my day devoted entirely to packing and organising. I spent a large chunk of the day contacting places to advise of our impending change of address and putting away the stuff we can live without for only a day or two. The shelves are bare, the cupboards empty, the dominating presence is loads of brown cardboard boxes packed to the rim and labelled with the room they are to be delivered.

When I got back from snooker I turned on the television and a programme was on about The Last Laugh; the sitcom competition I am writing a script for. The show was covering each of the scripts available and showing filmed extracts from each one; some of them with famous actors taking up the roles.

The Old Guys was not what I expected. Hearing the writers talking about it was as I expected, but they two guys in the actual show itself are totally different to as I imagined. First, they were much younger. Second, one of them is black. Neither of these things are communicated in the script and I think it should have as I think it does make a difference.

My initial feel of the script was of two much older white guys. Born and bred in the area they still live (London) and probably in the seventies. Having a black guy as one of the characters does make a difference because his personality will be different to the guy I had in my mind.

I may have to rethink if I can do justice to this or go with my second choice, Last Quango In Harris.
Colin 1:29 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment