Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, April 11, 2005

An Epiphinal Moment

It's our last week in the flat. It's an exciting time but I am struggling to keep Laura from going through the roof with excitement and Gail from pulling her hair out needlessly.

I met Gail at lunchtime and we signed all the papers for the house sale and purchase. It is all but done bar the transfer of monies and keys. By lunchtime on Friday we should be in possession and can begin the move.

Work was awful, as always. I hate it.

I managed to get my new cards registered with PayPal and so I renewed all my subscriptions to the KIC serials I subscribe to. I've still got some catching up to do since I have fallen behind. I'm worried though. There has been a lot of problems with the publishing of the e-zines lately and it has been difficult to keep up with the requests for issues from the publisher. So I'm worried my sudden re-subscribing will cause a fluster with those authors who write them. Hopefully not.

I did a LOT of poetry reading when I got back over lunch. I have pulled out a lot of information on how to read poetry. I figured it will help me understand it more if I look at it from the reverse angle.

As a result, I pulled all of the poems currently under submission to see if I can work on them more. I have had responses to In The New Town Mist from people on the poetry-only forum and there seems to be two common themes developing that people are picking up on; the use of rhyme versus free-flowing and my inverted sentence structure. The root cause of these problems is easy to identif - I am trying to BE the poets that inspire me, and not be myself. I am sticking too rigidly to pre-defined structures and not letting the poetry flow through my arm into the pen and onto the paper. I need to learn to channel and relax.

We had an engineer over to fix the gas fire in the evening. Amazing how things manage to break just at the worst possible time.

I checked my subscriptions list at KIC and it looks like I have lost a couple of subscribers. The person who bought the three month subscription for Hunting Jack hasn't renewed nor has one of my gift certificate readers. I did pick up a new reader today by way of a free month. Not sure if it was through the competition or not - but it’s a new reader. That's me at eight.

I started work on the next few Hunting Jack issues and began to feel that the way I had the build up to and the conclusion to the story planned wasn't fitting right. I started to write anyway and went with the flow.

The it hit me. Perhaps the most incredible epiphinal moment I have had during the entire writing of the story. Suddenly, there is a sub-plot which will not only provide a stronger link from Jackie to the core, but also brings forward the twist to a pre-cursor of itself. If that makes sense - well it does to me.

I wrote a couple of issues before calling it a night.
Colin 10:07 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment