Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Driving Towards The Weekly Goal

Today at work was made more bearable because I knew it was my last day until next Tuesday. Over the next few days I will complete the largest non-writing GDR of the year by moving into a new home with Gail and Laura.

Over lunch, I did some work towards meeting my targets set out for the week. I submitted The Oasis to One Story after it's recent rejection by The Summerset Review. I also edited A Bond Of Faith and got it ready for submitting to The Portable Muse. This is the perfect publication for this story; I only hope the editor likes it.

I read over and edited several poems to differing degrees. I submitted Disposable Pen to the poetry forum and gave several others a new lease of life. This desire to look back over all my unpublished poems is a direct result of the overhaul my approach to poetry has had this week. I am learning to let go and analyse more each word and space. Everything within each poem is only there because it has a reason to exist.

I posted the first draft of The Dictionary to my writing group and got some interesting feedback on it. In the evening I ran through it a second time and other than some small problems with point of view at the start of the story and some minor typos, I managed to get it reading right. It's the right length for the competition requirements, which makes life easier as I won't have to cut large sections out. I'm happy with it on its second draft and I'll give it another read through in the cold light of day.

Gail, Laura and myself went round t0o see the new house now that we have a key. It was a weird sensation; being in our new home but not quite fully owning it or having moved in. At the moment it is a musty shell. In three days it will be a hive of activity.

Worked on Hunting Jack and some more poems in the evening until tiredeness took over. Although I'm off tomorrow I need to be up sharp to get busy.
Colin 10:30 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment