Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Dreaming About DIY

The buyer of our flat came round to the house this morning. His television isn't working and he wanted to know if it was fine when we left. It was, but he wants us to have a look at it? Eh? Whit? Perhaps the cable engineer he had round as soon as he was in the house has more to do with it than us!

Work was slow and crap. I went out at lunchtime to B&Q and got some tools for jobs that need immediate seeing to. I'm slowly going to build up my armoury of DIY and fix-it tools and will invest in a proper case in the future. I've already done some reading and speaking to people about the jobs that are closer at hand.

Now we have a house together I want to make an impact on it and not rely on other people to do jobs. Apart from anything else I know I can do the jobs quicker and just as well, but it is the personal desire to see my work in the house instead of someone else's. Gail would rather her Dad did all the work, but he isn't doing it in Gail's flat anymore - he would be doing it in our house and I want to be able to do these things for my family.

Call it male pride or whatever - it's something I have to do.

I went onto my poetry forum to try and kick-start my brain and it seemed to work. I read a load of poems (they are very talented over there - I feel quite lowly at times) and I can feel myself returning to normal.

I am worried about the lack of organisation around the house. It's great we live in a much bigger house but the old habits have not gone. The girls trail a mess around with them wherever they go, so while we have more rooms, this just means more rooms to mess up. I can't wait to get my study. I need to get more work done to get help myself get into a routine so I can relax more and concentrate fully on my writing. It's going to be a long slog.

I added a brilliant wee virtual image to my blog. It's a virtual image, which shows the current status of the moon phase and is updated online every four hours. I think it looks fantastic and I sent an e-mail to a couple of friends who might be interested.

I've picked up another two readers for Hunting Jack. That's me got nine current subscribers, though over the last eight months I have lost five.

When I got home I changed the toilet seat, fixed the phone connection, attached the nameplate to the door and caught up with my emails. Then it was time for dinner - beans on toast in the conservatory (posh, but still with the common touch) and then I showered and left for a game of snooker and a few pints with my FIL.
Colin 11:28 am

1 Comments:

Colin:

Congratulations on the move. Yep, we women do leave a "trail" behind us. I have two daughters and I always find hairbrushes and hairbows (with loose hair still attached, blech!) all over the house.

Add a comment