Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Edinburgh, And The Poetry Group

Laura came through at 6.30 and that was me awake for the day. I got up and did the domestics and get her ready for dancing classes. I dropped her off - giving Gail a deserved lie-in - and with my DV camera in hand, made my way into town.

I had a certain amount of specific shots I wanted to get for my chapbook, but I ended up taking a lot more as it turned out. I started off in Princes Street and covered Waverly Bridge, Cockburn Street, North Bridge, South Bridge, The Royal Mile, Victoria Street, Grassmarket, King Stables Road, Lothian Road, Young Street, Queen Street, Dublin Street, London Street, Broughton Street and finally Leith Walk. There is so much more to this city when you look up, as opposed to forward.

I walked the whole way and by the end of it I had some good photos and a pair of sore feet. I won't show the photos for the chapbook here, but I will scatter this blog entry with some of the other ones I liked.

The Royal Mile looking north


Click to enlarge

I picked up Laura and came home to make lunch. I heated up the bridies I bought from Gregg's and we sat down to enjoy it with a much needed cup of tea. While doing so, I tuned in to the Royal wedding. HRH The Prince of Wales was already in the Church marrying Camilla Parker-Bowles.

Victoria Street leading to Grassmarket


Click to enlarge

When they left for the Blessing from the Archbishop of Canterbury, she did so as the Prince's Consort and the new Duchess of Cornwall.

It was a quiet affair, certainly compared to his first wedding, but it seemed to have an air of much-needed dignity surrounding it.

Edinburgh Castle from the Grassmarket


Click to enlarge

With the post-wedding celebrations on in the background, I got to packing - again. The house is not getting any tidier despite more boxes appearing in every corner. We're now down to the items that we reckon we can live without for a week at most. The disappearance of the stereo in this time-frame caused a minor "discussion".

King Stables Road Cemetry with Edinburgh Castle in background (from Hunting Jack)


Click to enlarge

Not only did today see a Royal wedding, but it was also Grand National day at Aintree Racecourse. I had been tipped a horse by Tom in Clark's yesterday but never got time to put a fiver on it. Just as well as it came in sixth place.

King Stables Cemetry, closer view


Click to enlarge

I took some photos in the house - close-ups of certain items relating to some of the poems in the chapbook. The DV camera is excellent at taking these kinds of photos and they have definitely added to the entertainment and communication values of the book.

The Oxford Bar on Young street - Inspector Rebus's hangout


Click to enlarge

I received a rejection from Open Wide Magazine for A Bond of Faith. I'll give it another read through and submit it elsewhere. It's not my strongest piece, though it is thought provoking and in this respect, I like it.

Howe Street towards Fife


Click to enlarge

I can't see me ever taking rejections as a final severance of a piece of work from the 'production line'. Every piece I complete has only gotten so far because I think it is worthy of completing and spending time in perfecting. Therefore, it is my attention to get them all published one way or another.

Dublin Street towards Fife and Firth of Forth


Click to enlarge

I knew I would not get a lot of work completed today. I had to give it all over to packing boxes and throwing out the stuff that never made it onto the 'moving list'. I did update my Brick by Brick chapbook with the photos I took and it's looking better every day.

Fife and the Forth from Dublin Street, closer view


Click to enlarge

The situation at the poetry-only forum took an interesting turn. It would seem I posted my first poem in the preverbial "Lion's Den" area and was advised where it would best suit. Apparently, I am not the first "newbie" to have been given a fright by the crits received in that area.

A typical street in Edinburgh's New Town


Click to enlarge

So I have moved the poem and spent some time in the evening reading through the poems that are posted there. It is indeed a very interesting place. I am going to learn much from this group and althoguh this one post gave me a fright, it has had me think of nothing else than my poetryat a totally new level.

A house in the New Town


Click to enlarge

There is so much to learn in the world of poetry - methods and persepctives I never knew existed. Being blasted as I was, could well turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to my poetry. It's time to roll up the sleeves and prepare to work hard.



London Street in the New Town


Click to enlarge
Colin 8:44 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment