Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Election Fever

The 2005 General Election was announced at lunchtime. I was fortunate enough to catch the live coverage of Tony Blair been whisked off for an audience with Her Majesty The Queen, in order he request Parliament be dissolved.

May 5th was confirmed as the date - worst kept secret in British politics - which is a date that will ring some ominous bells for some Labour supporters. For it was almost the same date in May 1979 that Maggie got into power and begun her transformation of Britain from industrial to privatised. Watch out Blair, there may be blue in the air!

I'd put money on Blair getting a third term anyway - in fact it's pretty much a certainty - but I think the Tories might give them a better run for their money this time round. They are already picking up in the polls and despite what the politicians say, it is going to be as sleazy and bloody a campaign as ever.

I was off work with school holiday cover today and I also had a list of things to do around the house. I took Laura with me to our first stop at B&Q to buy a saw - the reason for which will become apparent. Then we into the supermarket to get ingredients for Marzetti, which I wanted to make later on. When we got home we had a cuppa then I got on with washing the windows and throwing out a tonne of waste cardboard boxes that we were unable to use.

Then the saw came out, and in the roasting heat that is our sun-trapped back garden, I chopped up the remains of my desk, which the bin-men refused to take away due to their size, (the planks of wood - not the bin-men).

I got hold of Which Digital Camera? Magazine as I am now in the market for a good quality camera. I'm after pretty much the same qualities as when I was after my digital video camera - good quality images, easy to use and advanced enough for me to take it further than a mere 'general snaps' camera.

I e-mailed a couple of friends who have recently bought cameras or are in the business of photography themselves to gauge where I should be looking.

Flicking through the magazine though, the more I read about the Canon EOS 300, the more I like it. It's a digital SLR and is a quality entry-level camera. A quick scan on eBay, and I can get one, including the extras, for a reasonable price.

I worked on my latest poem, The Old Woman Of Edinburgh and polished up The Blind Man Of Cathkin Street for submission. I scanned my Artists and Writer's Yearbook for suitable markets but could only come up with one; The Edge magazine. There is not a lot of scope for mainstream horror in the UK it would seem. I'll send it off and if that fails, I will hit the information highway for possible suspects.
Colin 10:55 am

5 Comments:

Hello Big Man. My mate has an Exilim 5 Megapixel Digital Camera. It gives the best quality pictures that I have seen from a digital camera. However, it doesn't come cheap. Don't know what your budget is, but I thought that I would let you know about it anyway.
Regards,
Bobby Mackerel
COME ON THE TORIES!
Typical Conservative voter....shouts about it like they are watching a football match, but doesn't want anyone to know who they are.
Wow! What a busy day. Don't you love feeling productive?
Good luck with the camera hunt. I love it when you post pics!
:-)

Add a comment