Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Off To See The Folks

With no rush to get through to the West of Scotland we managed to get all our stuff packed and ready for our trip pretty much stress-free. The drive took about 90 minutes and as we got nearer to our destination snow became more visible around the roads. My parents had woken to a blanket of snow on Christmas morning but most of it had turned to slush by the time we came zooming into town.

We arrived to a warm welcome and it was good to see my folks again and my youngest sister Lindsay joined us too. We swapped Christmas presents and had a nice dinner of pizza, chips, quiche and salad.

Stories were told and laughs shared as we got stuck into some Sauvignon and Whyte and Mackay. My father gives me the dishwater so as not to have to waste any of his good Malt on me (his words), but that was fine with me.

With Laura in bed, I sat up with Gail and my parents having drinks and talking, and it was about 3am when we finally called it a night.

It’s always good coming back. After the years I spent wandering and living in various places, returning to my childhood home always brings back new and contrasting memories. Having Laura here also makes it all the more poignant and it is impossible for me not to reminisce about the years I lived here.
Colin 2:10 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment