Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, December 24, 2004

Last Minute Preperations

After a brief but compulsory stint in work this morning I took to the streets of Edinburgh for those last pieces of the present jigsaw. The rain had started to fall from the grey clouds giving the glow from the street decorations the impression of permanent glory against the dingy weather.

Walking along George Street and round onto Princes Street I was surprised how busy it wasn't; there were hordes of people for sure, but not the mad rush I was expecting, and with the rain pushing into my face I found myself lured into a temporary world of relaxation. It was as if a bubble had encased me protecting me from the human race, but not the elements.

I stopped off into a couple of shops and got my last few presents and headed home where the cleaning and cooking was almost done. Gail cooked a roast dinner and we watched Shrek as we eat a superb cut of beef and vegetables and Yorkshire Puddings.

Laura helped me wrap my things and before long it was almost time for bed. But first the tradition of Christmas Eve.

We sprinkled magic dust in the back garden and on the fireplace (so Rudolph knows where to stop) and spoke to Santa up the chimney. Then two mince pies, a glass of milk and a carrot were left for Santa and his Reindeer before the stocking was hung up for the night. I've never seen Laura WANT to go to bed so much - what a pleasure it was to put her to bed tonight.
With still lots to do around the house late evening drew up before we knew it and it was time to do the 'parent thing' before going to bed.

Tomorrow is going to be great. I can't wait to see her wee face.

Colin 10:54 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment