Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christmas Eve's Eve

It seemed like I did a lot that could be written about today but in reality, I never. I went up town with Laura and we took a look at the Christmas Garden in Princes Street.

Click to enlarge


Then we headed down to Ocean Terminal in Leith to do some shopping. I still had a couple of things to get Gail – stuff for her to open on Christmas morning seeing as I’ve already got her big presents – and it was hard going. I’m getting used to wandering around the sexy underwear section in BHS but this time nothing took my fancy. I don’t trust myself with any kind of clothing for gifts anymore anyway, not since I got her a dress that was two sizes too big for her. I’ve never been allowed to forget.

The afternoon dragged and it wouldn’t have been worse if it weren’t for Laura talking endlessly about Santa and how such a fat bloke can get down our chimney. Then came the ‘reality’ questions again but I’m good at massaging her belief. What helped was the film I took her to see while in the centre. The Polar Express is about a boy who doesn’t believe in Santa anymore and the train to the North Pole comes to get him on Christmas Eve. The journey makes him believe once more and I used the file to reference the finer points, which Laura always seems to hone in on. Her attention to detail astounds me at times – she’s definitely got an artist inside her.

Nighttime came and she is really feeling the excitement. I’ve never seen her so excited actually – it’s so great to see but it is hard work keeping a balance between kiddie time and adult time. I was glad to get her down – eventually – but by then I was so tired myself I just wanted to put my own head down.

And that was the day – town, shopping, pictures, and bed. This is the reality.
One thing I wanted to say in today’s post was how sad I was to see this:

Click to enlarge


This is the graveyard just off Leith Walk in Pilrig that the bus we were on passed by. Having never seen it before I was saddened to see the sorry state it was in, particularly the number of stones pushed over and vandalised. It was disgusting; some people have no respect.

It made me think of the people who were once close to me, whether family of friends, and who are no longer around. I think Christmas should be about remembering those we loved who cannot be with us on days like this and for being thankful for having known them.
Colin 11:26 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment