Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, December 27, 2004

Teeing For Up The New Year

I slept in today after watching the late film on TV last night, Blazing Saddles. I screamed late into the night at this hilarious film and felt just a tinge of sadness at how films like this never make it past the BBFC in this day and age. I had forgotten how just funny it was and the tears literally ran down my face for 90 minutes.

When I got up the house was empty. I vaguely remembered Gail saying she was taking Laura shopping but when or where that was I couldn't remember so I set about with some writing. I worked on my GDR and some general notes and thoughts that have been mulling around in my head, forming into short stories and ideas for Hunting Jack. I've enjoyed being away from him for the past couple of weeks - in retrospect that is - because I think I needed the break. Other things needed attention in my life for sure, but the break was needed. I see that now.

I have not been very active in my writing group the last few days and I kind of miss the people over there. I have posted a couple of times, but with all the holiday stuff hitting everyone I miss the support and camaraderie that exists there.

However, I am feeling totally refreshed and recharged. The lull between Christmas and New Year always provides me a chance to look at myself and to look back at my life away from work and without any hassle. With Christmas out the way, it seems easier to focus on my art.

One of the best things for me about this period, without meaning to sound selfish, is that I get to go home to the West of Scotland. In the next week I will get to see my parents who really I don't see enough, and to meet up with friends that our only contact is through email or the phone for much of the year. With the introduction of families into all our lives things have changed for everyone, but no matter how much things change, we always know where we each other are.

This is also why New Year means more to me than Christmas. Not only is it more of a community celebration in Scotland, it is a chance to catch up, go wild and really let your hair down. For years I have been going away with all my friends, and over the years our partners and children join us. We go to Aberfoyle and stay in a couple of chalets at Forest Hills and a pal of mine who owns the hotel in the town has a party for us on Hogmanay. This also means we get the runaround of the entire town - and a free bar on the 31st till the early hours.

This year we leave for my parents tomorrow and then for Aberfoyle on Thursday. I will try to post if I can, pictures and commentqary of some of the beautiful scenery we will be living amongst, and I am sure my notebook will fill up easily with ideas and anecdotes of the hilarious and idiotic things that always happen when us lot get together. I can't wait to get there.
Colin 11:00 pm

1 Comments:

Yeah, we miss you too Col! Have fun with your parents!

Add a comment