Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Christmas Spirit Falls

It’s the last day of school today and Laura, like all the other kids about here finish up at mid-day after the customary Christmas service. Then she is off to the After School Club who are taking them to see Beauty and the Beast at the King’s Theatre.

She is getting excited at the prospect of Santa coming. Confusion has set in as to what day is Christmas Eve and she talked herself into believing it was today – which logically meant tomorrow is THE day – but I put her right.

She’s also heard rumours at school that Santa isn’t real. I put her right on that too because if she doesn’t believe, then he definitely won’t come.

Tomorrow I am off work and will take Laura up town with me while I finish off some shopping I need to do. I’ll try and fit in a wee trip to the cinema as well while we’re at it to take her mind off it all.

In Edinburgh, the festive feeling is all around. Windows of homes and shops display all kinds of colourful decorations and trees and cars, taxis and buses even have some kind of decoration about them. Anytime music is heard it is about reindeers or Santa and the pubs and restaurants are packed daily with celebrating workers. The whole city seems to be under the Christmas spell.

Except my office.

It is as dull and boring as ever.

In fact there is only one tree on our floor, set up by a couple of the Admin girls who also used sellotape to stick 30 year old decorations on the partitions that create the individual workstation cells throughout the office.

I know I could make the effort to do it myself but I would only be hounded down by the dogs, though I do have a Christmas decoration application on my PC which makes up for it.
Colin 10:32 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment