Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2004

No Rest For The Wellmeaning

I have no idea when Gail got in last night, but at 7am I was up and playing with Laura again – more Daddy-Daughter time! I am so tired from the coughing and lack of sleep it is causing, I just want to get a hack-saw, cut open my rib cage and pull out my lungs.

I had to get Laura ready for her Gran collecting her to go and see Santa at a nearby event in Leith, and when she left I tagged a lift to the newsagent, reluctant to expose my lungs to the ice in the air. It was a beautiful day though; clear blue skies with a frost on the branches of the trees.

I bought a couple of newspapers and some bacon and rolls for Gail – the plan was to make her breakfast when she got up – and some other essentials then headed back to the house.

I disposed of the rat’s carcass fro the front garden; discovered by Laura earlier and dumped most likely by the neighbour’s cat, by bagging it and putting it in the bins. It was disgusting with it’s head severed but more or less still intact, all 10 inches of it’s manky body was frozen onto the paving and so I had to scrape it off. Enough already.

With the place more or less empty I should have written, but I didn’t. I used the papers and the fact the laptop was in the bedroom as reasons for not getting any work done, and instead put on a Frasier DVD and rested with a cup of hot Blue Mountain.

Gail eventually rose at 3pm and so breakfast was long gone. I made her a mid-afternoon snack instead of tea and bacon rolls. She commented how grim it looked outside – I reminded her that it was technically referred to as the sun setting for the day.

Gran returned with Laura and stayed for a coffee and I could feel the tiredness really taking hold of me now. I received no sympathy from anyone over my chest which is they I suppose when surrounded by all these women. I commented to Carol (my MIL and an NHS nurse) that were I to fall seriously ill, I would hope for better service from the NHS nurses than I got from her! All I wanted to do was sleep but still had dinner to make – chicken Korma, which I added extra garlic to.

On checking my e-mail before an early bed, I saw two of my friends have used the Christmas Gift Certificate I sent them for a free month of HJ, taking my tally to 7. The subscriber I lost has renewed and so if I can keep the 3 new ones from the certificate I have a good base to build on. It’s easy to lose them though – I should be grateful I have one! I also had confirmation that my HJ Competition is available on the KIC website. To win a FREE MONTH SUBSCRIPTION, simply answer 10 easy questions about Scotland.

Click on the link below for the questions (all easily Googleable!)

Hunting Jack Contest
Colin 1:09 pm

1 Comments:

Colin, hope you get to feeling better soon!

Add a comment