Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, November 01, 2004

Woke Up This Morning

A blue sky and mellow weather front gave the impression spring had arrived early. The sun even made an effort to poke out from the clouds.

None of the calm in the air made it through to me though, and work was awful. Can’t concentrate, can’t focus and can’t sleep. About all I have been able to do is write which is just as well because I signed up for the NaNoWriMo writing marathon – write a novel of 50k during November. 33,000 people have entered from 12 nations, and while I know I may struggle at times to manage to keep up, it will still result in a piece of work that may, or may not, be finished by November 30th. Either way, I am sure it will be a worthwhile way of generating work for myself.

My goals and ambitions have all been knocked sideways out of my head. A lot of us in the writing group are working on our goals, dreams and ambitions for 2005, but since Friday it has been pushed to the back of my mind along with everything else. It’s a Groundhog Day syndrome; I get up end everything is fine – all hassles gone from view. Then my brain starts working and I start to think too much; so I worry and by lunchtime my head is pounding. By nighttime I can’t sleep for the fighting and re-runs of scenarios in my head so I get up and scribble some lines or watch BBC News 24. That’s how Perfect Place was penned over the weekend.

It’s like the song, Woke Up This Morning by Alabama 3:

“When you woke up this morning, everything was gone,
By half past ten your head was going ding-dong.”

Laura had her dance show tonight and I went. She was in 3 dances out of an incredible number of performances spread over 3 and a half hours. To make matters even more interesting I was sat next to my Mother-in-Law and we swapped funny jibes to each other about who would look more ridiculous on stage. Naturally I won, given I have an incredible amount of sex appeal even if I had to squeeze a bright blue leotard over my plump belly and prance about on stage.

The show was alright though, albeit a bit long for most people. There were kids as young as 3 doing dances and a couple of 5 year olds did solo tap dances on the stage as if they had been doing it all their lives – which they probably have but you get the point.

By the end Laura was shattered. She had left school and gone straight to swimming lessons they straight to the Church Hill Theatre and so went without a dinner or a moments rest. What a wee soldier. We got a couple of the professional photographs that were taken as well for our album.

Got home in time to tidy up issues 26 and 27 of HJ before the penultimate episode of The Soprano’s. It’s building to a hell of a climax; can’t wait till next week.

Countdown till RAF Squadron 55 hits town: 2 days
Colin 11:17 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment