Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Tour Madness

I got a nice wee package through the post this morning, all the way from Holland – a preview copy of Tour Madness, a documentary book listing details and reviews of every single gig and television appearance that Madness have ever played. Spanning 25 years it is a superb record of every single concert from the early days of 2-tone through the secret gigs in the Dublin Castle in May. From a writing point of view, the book contains a few entries I sent the author concerning gigs I attended that he held no information on, hence why I received an advance copy for free.

When I woke, it was to the sound of Laura at the side of the bed.

"Mummy, there's water all over the floor of the kitchen."

I knew what had happened immediately. Gail shot out the bed, then the familiar thuds of her feet returning to the bedroom as she came to kick my arse.

I left the freezer door open all night, confirming that not only am I a "twat!" (Gail's words), but that I did indeed have tomato soup last night, and dipped fish fingers into it for my post-drinking snack. I don't know what's more worrying - answers on a postcard please.

Gail had been invited to a wedding with her pal so I already knew my day’s core activity would involve baby-sitting (or kid sitting as Laura insists on calling it). Laura is not one to be left to get on with things herself and tends to prefer the company of anyone, rather than no-one. Unless that is, The X-Factor or Strictly Come Dancing is on the television.

The opportunity to get my laptop out didn’t arrive until Strictly came on (as predicted) but when it did I struggled to get started. I need a location in Glasgow where Jackie meets up with another character, and it is at this meeting he discovers two key points about his father’s whereabouts and makes the decision to head to Edinburgh. The trouble is, I can’t think of anywhere suitable enough and haven’t been able to for the last day or two. So I wrote my Blog to get the fingers tapping and the brain flowing.

It was a good day to be inside though. Outside, dark clouds provided the occasional shower and it was very dreary and dank. Not the sort of climate suited to a wedding I would have thought. I can never understand people who have weddings in the autumn – it’s just too unpredictable. The middle of winter is fine if you can guarantee snow; cold if you’re in a kilt, but nice for the pictures.

My pal Tom told me last night while in Clark’s that he has a wedding to go to on New Years Day! To me, it is a nice effort to have a romantic wedding anniversary, but not conducive to having a good time. Most people will have been out celebrating Hogmanay and there are bound to be a few red eyes and stale breath at that ceremony!

So I finished writing some of my Blog but the rest didn’t come. I couldn’t find the spark or will to fight through it, so as not to waste the evening entirely, I got out my copy of The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe and had a good read.
Colin 11:08 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment