Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, November 19, 2004

The Road To Recovery

Felt better today. I was able to eat something and keep it down and could feel the energy rush almost immediately. My chest is still sore from the retching but other than that - I'm feeling a whole lot better.

I took the day off work just to make sure there were no after-shock's of sickness *ahem*, and so had an empty house, with a laptop, a hi-fi and real-flame gas fire all to myself.

I wrote from 12 noon till 2am - 14 hours of pure art (stopping for coffee and lunch obviously) and listened to Stella by Yello. It is bitterly cold outside so just the weather for listening to the album. I must get it on CD though instead of cassette.

I tried to dig out that photo of the blackbird - can't seem to find it anywhere, I emptied two cupboards looking for the album that it is in. I told Gail I was doing a spring clean when she got back from work, so she let me off with the mess.

I redrafted Hunting Jack issues 28 through to 34 and wrote a further 4 issues. I now have ten full issue almost ready to submit to KIC. My readers are only in the period 10-18 so I'm miles ahead.

I redrafted my theatre review for KIC Magazine, but I still need to cut it down by about 150 words before sending it in.

I also wrote out the first draft of the script example for the freelance job application. It was fun because it is new, but the format is not anything I have done previously. I like it, but I want to approach it from a couple of angles and then decide what's best for I submit my application.

I received a rejection from NFG Magazine for Daffodils. Although it made it through the slush pile and ot was generally liked (including one of the harder senior ed's), it was voted out. I am both happy and surprised it made it as far as it did, and I can take a lot from the experience. Put it this way, if I start to doubt my writing (which I do regularly) I can always look at the kudos I recieved over this piece of fiction to give me a lift!

Oh yeah - and someone (I suspect Zarina) posted a comment yesterday about, "Why 'sick as a parrot'?". I'm not entirely sure why I used that phrase. It's one of those old-wives phrases I think that gets used without thinking about. So I did a bit of research.

Experts at about.com say:
"I imagine that the expression "sick as a parrot" stems from how parrots deal with illness. Generally they show no signs of being ill at all until they're extremely so -- so you rarely see a sick parrot until they're close to death. But at that point, they're very obviously sick, and I suppose the expression "sick as a parrot" was inevitable!"

That's all I could find that sounded reasonable. :-)


Colin 1:02 pm

3 Comments:

Glad your feeling better, Colin. By the way, I "borrowed" your unkymood idea. I have it on my blog too. I hope that's okay. :-)
Glad you're feeling better Col! I wish I could get that much *uninterrupted* writing time!
Thanks for answering the "sick as a parrot" question. That is very interesting. Oh, and yeah, that was me, Zarina, who asked.

Add a comment