Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2004

No Sleep, But Battling On

I couldn’t sleep again last night. I don’t know what’s wrong – well, I have my suspicions – but that’s two nights in a row I have seen the clock pass 2:30am. I walked home from work yesterday to deliberately try to tire myself out but it still didn’t work. It’s infuriating, lying there with music blaring in my head, unable to think about writing or anything relaxing to take my mind off everything enough to get me to drift off.

So I got up and watched Monday Night American Football Live – New England versus Kansas (27-19) with a glass of milk and ham sandwich. Not that I know anything about the sport, but at that time on a Monday night it was a choice between the NFL or Chinese sign language, skiing, an audio-dubbed film with horrendous acting and BBC News 24 showing looping repeats of the news.

I did finally fall asleep, but as a result I slept in. My work flexi-time starts at 10am and my eyes opened to see the clock flick onto 9:50am. I never even heard Gail or Laura getting ready or leave the house – which is amazing in itself – and it was only by chance I woke up because I had one of those ‘falling off the pavement’ dreams.

I was too tired to notice anything today, too irritated by lack of sleep and un-motivated to be inspired. I just want to sleep. Even when typing this Blog I am making stupid errors on the keyboard – as if my fingers don’t seem to be in line or fit over the keys anymore as they slowly try to find remember the way to go.

I got given some ‘real’ (*snigger*) work to do today which took all of five minutes and so I spent a large chunk of my non-creative time (9 till 5) rewriting my theatre review for KIC. It didn’t take all day, but I made sure it was one of the things I finished. I’ve been doing a lot of reading of reviews on the net and decided an overhaul of the structure would be in order. It’s much better now but instead of being 200 words over the limit, it is now 400 – so more editing was required when I got home and it is now just under the required amount..

The Website Development column is also taking shape. I decided to go with an introductory style to the column as well as for anyone classed in the beginners’ category of web design. I have also decided to include a ‘write to me’ section where readers can fire in questions and I will answer them in the next issue.

The travel column is not urgent as there are several contributors already, which is good because I haven’t decided what I am doing for this anyway. I still have the graphics to do for the web column.

All of this MUST be completed and sent to the editor by Friday. The deadline for the articles is 1st December, which is a week tomorrow so I simply must get this done – no excuses.

Sent off issues 35 and 36 of Hunting Jack after a quick check and scrub up. My subscribers are all in periods 10 to 18 so I am a minimum of 2 months ahead – so I know I’m going to be safe over the Christmas holidays at least.
Colin 10:16 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment