Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Party

Well the meal was cancelled, but it didn't stop me and Gail heading out on the town ourselves. We haven't had a night out the two of us for a while and so with the babysitter rolled into action at 3pm, we headed out.

We arrived at Bannerman's on the Cowgate to see the Rab Howat Band play, which they do every Saturday in the back room - for free and with offers on Jack Daniels so Gail was in her element. The played a lot of Beatles (as usual) plus some rock crowd pleasers. I can't stand their ballads though - much better when Rab does his thing on the guitar. In fact, you could just have the drummer and bassist up there supporting Rab and that would be enough.

It go to about 7pm and hunger was setting in. We walked round to Pancho Villas on The Royal Mile, and had a nice meal - plenty of chilli's jalapeno's for me and spicy chicken for Gail - washed down with a bottle of South African Red. Things were getting merry by this point.

By the time we left the restaurant the blanket of ice cold air that had been threatening finally came down. It was freezing - and I emphasise the word freezing. We walked round to The World's End and took a seat near the bar. There we sat till closing time, drinking vodka, Jack D and playing the jukebox. Gail took to dancing in her seat as we relived the indie days of the early 90's and she accused me of not partying enough (ie. dancing on my seat). I took a photo on my mobile phone of her after she came out the loo without doing up her belt - she laughed.

We left at closing time and the reality of Edinburgh at 1am hit us - no taxi's for love nor money. We walked down the North Bridge, along Leith Street and London Road, all the while Gail moaning that she shouldn't have worn her leather boots as they were hurting her too much and that she wished she had gone to the loo before leaving because she was bursting. I had this in my ear for 3 miles until she eventually took her boots off. I told her she would ruin her socks doing that and she said, "Doesn't matter - i'm wearing your socks anyway!"

We got a taxi eventually, and got home about 2am. But we weren't ready to goto bed yet and so sat up and talked and drank more until nearly 6am. While we haven't had a night out like this on our own for so long, it's been a while since we opened up and talked about 'everything', so it was good.

It was quite a party.
Colin 3:07 pm

1 Comments:

I thought it was only my Fiona that pinched her man's socks to wear under her boots. Does Gail pull them off inside out? That does my box in!
Regards,
Bob

Add a comment