Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

I can See Clearly Now....

The rain is back with a vengance along with low, damp clouds making it rather dank and dreary. Not even the splatter of constant drizzle is enough to dampen my spirits after the last three days however, having worked through 6000 words of Hunting Jack, developed all the links for the crux of the story and mapped it all out all in the last couple of days.

I know, in time, the passage of A to B will change again, but the root is there and that's what counts. I feel I have reached a major milestone in my serial - not so much the word count (currently at 40k), but with the whole pint of it all - the goal - the mission!

I typed up all my notes I took last night about the history of crime in Glasgow and write an entire background of the links between Jackie's history, his adoption, Neil and Sadie, and his real family, and how it all ties back to a specific period in Glasgow's history, (which is still, to this day, in the news). I'm totally pumped!

I drafted issues 28 through to 34 of HJ and will give them one further read before sending them off. The story seems tidier in my head now it has a point and I understand the historical links. I am more comfortable and while I have acres of room to manouvre within, (add new characters and plots etc.), I know where I am ultimately going.

When I look back, I amaze myself to think I was worried I would not have enough to write about, or time to do it in. I know I've blogged a lot about HJ lately, but I am totally absorbed in it and it really has become the focus of my attention. The last four or five days have been incredibly productive for me, and I can't deny it has been great fun. If only this were all I had to think about career-wise...

Still to do though, is my redraft of the theatre review and the website development column. Once these issues are sent off I will have to tie these down before I end up getting rushing over the finishing line.

I'm having trouble gettign an empty office so I can utilise the colour printer. It's a great quality machine but if I stood next to it printing hundreds of HJ fliers it migth not go down so well. If I don't get it done this week I will do it next Friday the 26th as I am working that night. Then I can get them down tot the book sale and watch my subs roll in! ;-)

Arranged a meal on Saturday with friends of Gail and myself. Sarah and Rob are expecting their first child and we haven't seen them in a while so it should be good fun. We're off to The Shore for a Mexican and some drinks. to make it even more exciting, we have been allowed to drop Laura off at her Grans early afternoon so we are going to Bannerman's to watch a band play. Can't wait!
Colin 11:45 am

1 Comments:

I take it your bosses don't read your blog? You let out too many secrets of your night shift shenanigins!
Enjoy the band.

Add a comment