Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, November 15, 2004

Research Reveals The Truth

No writing done at all today - but that does not mean it was not productive. I put together a spreadsheet with the issue numbers along the top and then divided it into two halves. The top half is colour coded for each character which is then coloured in under every issue they make an appearance. The bottom half holds the key points from each issue in text.

This means I can track who is in what issue and what happens that is key to the story, and when this sheet is coupled with the issue summary document I can see the full picture.

So I took this home and tried to develop it into graphic form - not easy. I tried several ways but couldn't get it to slot in logically. I settled on clouds; one for each character. Next to the clouds in a wee box of different colour is a description of the key events in the story that character is involved. I then linked up the characters and showed their relationships with each other.

The result was most interesting.

First of all the shape is a star, the origin of which is Jackie. Everyone branches out from him and I had to make desicions on some of the character's relationships to him, and one another.

Secondly, it highlighted some major holes in the plot, least not why Jackie was adpoted in the first place. The whole history needed to be detailed for me to write on because although I know the rough area in my head, it is now at the stage of the small print requiring to be defined.

I knew that once I had filled these holes the story would be complete. And so I turned to the books I bought recently concerning the history of Glasgow, and took down 7 pages of A4 notes. I did some googling and got some news reports related to Jackie's history, which all ties in. I didn't feel as if I was forcing the links - they spoke for themselves after the star formation appeared. Quite surreal when I think about it.

With the holes now filled, I can move on with the story, but I am going to spend tomorrow writing them up and detailing out the links I have come across. Put it this way, if anyone is reading this blog and also reads Hunting Jack, you are in for some surprises because nobody is who they seem.

My levels of passion for this are going into overdrive now!!
Colin 11:02 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment