Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Bobby Mackerel Joins The Smoking Ban Debate

The seasonal weather is getting grimmer each day. The whole country is slowly diving into darkness and, while I said a couple of days ago that I like the dark, it makes being stuck in the office even worse. There is a world of difference between the pleasure of the dark at 4am to seeing the sun disappearing at 3.30pm.

I took a public swipe at my boss for not including the two recent weekend implementations I was involved with in the monthly departmental report. He apologised and asked me to forward the information on. I never - the damage already having been done in my eyes. Our team may only consist of three people, but not including us in the reports is rather insulting to the good work we do complete.

It looks like we have decided to go to a Jamaican restaurant for our Christmas lunch this year. It’s a new place up by The Meadows called Coyaba and although it only opened in March, it recently got 9/10 in the Sunday Herald Restaurant Review. I checked out their website and it is run by a genuine Rastafarian so it’s bound to be the real deal. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to it (assuming we get it booked in time).

I walked home and came up with a couple of neat ways to add more twist to the plots I am working Jackie through at the moment. Another character has worked his way into the story, though I don’t know anything about him myself – he was uninvited and is a dark and foreboding figure. I don’t think Jackie will be able to keep running forever – his demon’s will have to be faced at some point or another.

I also designed a new banner for my Blog (up top) – hope it looks nice. Might change it though if I think of a better design.

I am delighted that my posting yesterday provoked some responses. Mr. Bobby Mackerel posted his side of the argument - cheers big man! Bob’s as bald as I am by the way, which is why he was one of the Ushers at my wedding – I didn’t want to look out of place heh.

Bob mentioned some important points which I will not attempt to come back on.

I am the first one to say that people have a right to smoke

This is true, and I think most people will say this. However, surely it is the individuals right to choose to smoke. I don’t mean in the same room or whatever, I thought the compromise of designated smooking rooms on other levels was quite a good one. But it is the Governments way of handling this situation which frustrates me more than anything else.

They have already caused riots outside Westminster by trying to ban Fox Hunting. Game fishing is next by the way so I guess I’ll have to score that off my ‘Interest’ list. Now the smoking ban. Blair sits and allows people to talk but will ignore the will of the people he relys on. It’s political suicide if he wants a third term. He’s alienated the smokers and the countryside people – who is left? Not enough to win a general election that’s for sure.

however if you are a non-smoker you have no choice but to inhale other people's smoke and this is of course, wrong.

I agree – hence separate areas with good air-conditioning to suck out the smoke from the building.

I made the decision not to smoke and I want to stay as fit and healthy for as long as possible.

Stop riding a bike to work then because from what I hear it’s MORE dangerous than smoking. I mean Bob – crawling over car bonnets at 30mph just isn’t on bud. ;-)

I think that it is a brave decision by the Scottish Parliament to bring in legislation that will without doubt be hugely unpopular amongst smokers and may in the short term have ramifications for the Scottish economy.However, as I train to be a nurse I see how much people's health and lives are screwed up by ciggies and something has to be done.

Again, I agree. Can’t be nice way to go but I still think it is a good way to solve the pensions crisis. Actually, that was deep cynicism more than anything else but it is the way politicians think. Nobody wants a slow death but if John Reid is anything to go by, the only enjoyment in life that single mothers in council houses have IS smoking cigarettes. (his words, not mine).

Anyway, I'm off to have a beer, as since everyone knows alcohol does your body no harm at all and adds at least thirty years to your life.

If that is the case, I should live to be 150!

Summarising, it is not the ban on smoking that I am really protesting about. Smoking isn't pleasant for sure; the smelly clothes, smelly breath, chest disease and everything else.

My main point in all of this is it is NOT the Governments right to tell people they cannot smoke. They are taking their remit too far. Political Correctness has already been through the wash, so has Euroism and the countryside. Don't forget, one of the key things Blair pledged when he came to power was to "allow people to be able to make choices for themselves". This action, by cloaking it in health reasons, is not allowing people to make choices for themselves.

It borders on totalitarianism which is the compete opposite of what Blair based his election campaigns on.

My nipple is much better now by the way.
Colin 11:06 am

1 Comments:

I would not dare to argue with you on any of your points. I know better.
By the way, the car was only travelling at around 10 mph. Hence the reason, I only broke a fingernail and gained a little dent to my dignity.

While we are talking politics. Yasser Arafat was buried today in the strip of his favourite football player....it was his Gazza strip!

Add a comment