Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Writing Rush Now In Spate

Gail wasn't feeling too well today so I dropped Laura off at her Gran's in the afternoon for the rest of the day (and night) and returned to the house, gave it a tidy and let her sleep.

With the light dimming rapidly outside, gas fire on at full blast and the laptop on the table, I wrote 4000 words of Hunting Jack. That is around issues 32 to 35. Over all this weekend I have written over 6000 words which is damn good.

Though I now have a problem.

The story is getting very complicated. A side character has worked his way into the story without me realising his importance which left me with a decision - ditch him or have him join Jackie. The connection to Edinburgh has been made, as has some clues as to Jackie's family history as well as Katie, PLUS another shady character is on the scene, so I left it open for now. I suppose he will make his own mind up over it when he finds out more about Jackie. He may not want to be friends after this.

What's more, Jackie is changing. For the first few issues he was quiet and reserved and I think a lot of that has been down to the experience of making the break from his home. He is becoming so much stronger and is challenging people who think he is an easy target. He is prepared to take the lead now and not follow all the time. His change in attitude, subtle as it is, is challening me also in that now, ever more than before, he is beoming more unpredictable than before. His new friend Tony is a loose cannon and a bit dodgy but it looks like a bond is growing between them and I think he might end up being very loyal to Jackie - which he looks like is going to need. We shall see.

My issue summaries aren't cutting it anymore as the issues progress so I am going to need to find a way of linking up all the plotlines in graphic form. I think I might nab some large sheets of paper from my office tomorrow because if I don't tie this down now I run the rick of losing control. What's more, I don't want to reveal too much because there are still just under 50 issues to write. I don't mind if I go over the 9 month contract, but I have to make sure I don't fall short.

I'm glad to have got through so much and didn't really want to stop, but I had to eat. I will need to get these HJ issues completed soon so I can send the stuff into the editor - having it on my machine is one thing, but it needs to be polished and sent away. While it remains on a disk, there is always the temptation to alter it later so I need to make the decisions now.

I still haven't done any more with NaNoWriMo - so that's a flop, but I like the story so I will use it. Also did nothing on my columns which is getting worrying. I'll complete the Theatre review asap and do the website one. I have had it on my mind and I know the approach.

I still have to dig that photo of the blackbird out my box in the cupboard - I keep thinking about it and I really want to see it now.

As for my one remaing to do task this weekend: we plumped for Chinese and watched a film by candlelight.
Colin 11:23 pm

1 Comments:

4000 Words? WOW!! Go Colin! As for your complicated plot, it sounds like you *listen* to your characters, so let them lead you where they want you to go. Let us kmow what happens!

Add a comment