Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

PSNS And A Good Bit Of Progress

It seems my tale of nipple horror yesterday stirred up some emotions in some of my readers, and responses were both thick and fast in their arrival. Most people it would seem were sickened, but some found it hilarious. I am still too tender to even think about what side of that particular fence I am on.

Other than a slight irritation on the left hand point of my chest brought on by Post Squeezed Nipple Syndrome (PSNS), I felt good today. On form, sharp with my banter and managing to put the crap into a box and shove it into a dark corner. I started planning the Christmas lunch for our team of 3, so I invited the bloke who got made redundant a few months back too as well as the guy who decided it. Ain't I a stinker? The decision is still up in the air as to where we go; in the running is a Jamacian restaurant on Causewayside, Palkhi’s (Indian), The Basement (Mexican), Berts Bar (pie and a pint), or Clarks for liquid refreshment only. My vote went to Clarks. I need to diet anyway.

During a lazy afternoon I caught up with my issue summary for Hunting Jack and spotted a glaring error in it. I referred to a hostel where Jackie is currently residing differently in a previous issue. The original hostel was my first choice, but after researching homeless hostels I changed it to another one more suited to what I needed in later editions. Luckily, none of my subscribers are up that far in the story yet so my editor replaced issue 21 with the corrected manuscript. I also polished up issue 27 ready for submitting later on tonight. I got nothing done on A Point Of View for NaNoWriMo.

I walked home in the dark. It’s always the same – the clocks go back and suddenly we go to work in the dark and then come home in the dark. The lights start going out over our sky at about half three in the afternoon which is just no good.

Having said that – I love the dark. If I was able to, I would live to write from 7 or 8 at night until 7 or 8 the next morning – then go to bed. I love the peace, the silence, the blanket of comfort the stars provide.

I stopped on the way home and got a chippy. I know – so much for a diet but I’ve not had one for ages and the last thing I could be bothered doing when I got in was cook. Black pudding and chips - unbeatable.

Sitting down to write after dinner was a bit of a struggle. I wanted to write, but seemed to be finding little ways to procrastinate; flicking the television on, re-checking email, making cups of tea (Gail loved that bit). So eventually I gave myself a slap and forced the issue.

I sent in the updated version of issue 21 and followed that up by issue 27. I then re-read issue 27 as a warm up even though it was finished earlier in the day and sent in to the editor. Issue 28 was slow in starting but it soon came. I know what the next two or three issues will involve and once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I wrote two full issues so I am now up to issue 29 - only about 52 to go for my current contract.

I have managed to write Jackie into attending a Scotland versus England football match and the whole thing from the journey to Hampden Park to being in the ground brought back a shed load of memories from my football days. I miss the buzz, but not the parochialism and bigotry.

Speaking of which, there is an Old Firm game on tomorrow night – I’m glad I’ll be playing snooker.
Colin 10:47 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment