Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, October 04, 2004

Jubilee Clips On My Creativity Pipe

After the weekend that was, I’m feel quite refreshed and recharged. In fact, I’ve not felt quite as chirpy on a Monday morning for a long time. The rain was chucking it down and made getting into work rather a hassle; autumn is making its presence felt. The temperature drop is now very noticeable; puffs of breathe in front of peoples faces, large wrap coats, slushy leaves in the gutter, crisp crunching of pavements underfoot – winter isn’t that far away either!

I’m finding it hard to move from the point I am at with HJ. There is plenty of motivation and drive, and I know the following step where I need to be with it as regards the development of the plot, but I am finding it difficult to progress through this barrier into the next phase. It's like a jubilee clip is blocking my creativity pipe! I’ve been here before and documented how I got out of it and have tried this, but it just hasn’t felt right. I know the research is accurate because I went to the Ambulance Service and spoke to them about it so it isn’t that. There just seems to be a temporary loss of direction. Writing about it here helps me think, and I reckon if I print it all out and read it from start to finish it might help me carry through the next phase. I have put together an issue summary but it’s not good for seeing the way ahead, only the path behind.

So I waited until the printer at work was free and quietly slipped off the 36 A4 pages that make up Hunting Jack as I know it.

My inbox had some rather interesting mails in it when I got home. First up is a novel writing challenge from NaNoWriMo.org.

“November marks the 6th annual National Novel Writing Month. The idea behind it is to get all of us tentative writers writing. It is designed to be a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30. Valuing enthusiasm and perseverance over talent and craft, NaNoWriMo is a novel-writing program for everyone who has thought fleetingly about writing a novel but has been scared away by the time and effort involved.”

It sounds like a lot of fun though I’m not sure If I have the time what with the attention required of HJ and my novel sitting at 60,000 words and only about half-way through – untouched for several weeks now by enlarge. I’ve registered though, and who knows – I do have a couple of ideas from my notebook that I had wanted to expand on into larger stories – maybe now’s the time. I’ll pass the link on to my group as well.

I received an e-mail from the KIC Ed. She is putting together a quarterly Magazine and is looking for all kinds of contributions including short stories. I think I might submit Heart of a Child, which was rejected recently by Bridport, and possibly a couple of the others I have been working in if I can get them rewritten.

The last e-mail I recieved was from KIC - another two people have subscribed to Hunting Jack. That's me got five in total so far - more than I imagined at this early stage so I'm delighted. I hope the story lives up to their expectations.

In the evening I looked over it my HJ manuscript, made some notes, watched The Soprano’s, and fell asleep thinking of what bridge to take Jackie over next. It’s still foggy in my head.
Colin 11:57 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment