Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Easy Like Sunday

Just when I thought a peaceful start to today was on the cards, my father-in-law showed up with drills and sanders at hand to do some more work in the kitchen. Within seconds the house was turned into a tranquil haven for the quiet-minded, to a hellish brain-piercing racket. But I won't complain, indeed can't complain, because the job is being done for us by a perfectionist at trade value. It's just the unexpected disruption that is annoying. The big guy has a habit of showing up at the least appropriate moments and diving straight into his work. But again, I shouldn't really complain.

I spent the afternoon making a huge meal of Marzetti for everyone. It's one of my favourite dishes; and Italian-Scottish hybrid, with mince, pasta, plenty onion and cheese and served with garlic bread and red wine. I skipped the wine.

In between tending to my culinary's I did some work on a couple of website's that has needed done. One for a writer friend, and I also had some updates for The Magnificent 7 - a Madness tour is on the cards next month and we all wait with baited breath for the official announcement.

I also updated my own site and added a new section called Services. I detailed work that I can do for people - mainly writers and small businesses in the field of web site development and PC support. I have been doing this for long enough and been involved with plenty other web projects to be able to offer a good service. So now that is up, I shall give it a wee nudge in the promotion department and see what crops up.

I had submitted three poems to The Poetry Kit at the start of August and the reply came back in the afternoon. It was a very blunt and almost rude reply, and it has put me off submitting to them again in the near future. I know they have a good reputation and are very busy, but I was disappointed that is the best they can come up with in the way of a standard rejection. Two of the poems I sent in have since been published anyway so maybe I can use it as a marker as to where I am.

I wrote out an overview of the issue development of Hunting Jack to make it easier to scan through from a high level. This has helped me to see gaps that need filling in the plots and make sure I don't miss anything out.

Later I read The Red Notebook by Paul Auster in its entirety and took some notes. The ideas generated from this book I want to make sure I use to their maximum potential. The guy's a genius.

And so here is a rundown of my current Submissions list now that I have an update to be made:

Short Stories
Heart of a Child - Bridport Prize Competition (possibly concluded)
Daffodils - Writing Magazine
The Blind Man of Cathkin Street - Writing Magazine
A Bond Of Faith - Sol Magazine

Poems
5 poems to Greenshoots Magazine
2 poems to About The Arts e-Zine

Aims for this week: Get up to Chapter 20 minimum of Hunting Jack and if time, fit in the reworking of Bill McCarthy, Loaded, and maybe re-submit Heart of a Child now that the Bridport is almost certainly over.
Colin 1:32 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment