Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Mother's And The Importance Of Being On Time

The gloom of the past couple of days is slowly lifting and morphing itself into humour, that is to say, I read over yesterday’s post and made myself laugh at how depressing it reads. It’s not all bad, I have a wonderful family, a comfortable life, I get to do and buy pretty much the things we as a family want, I have a good circle of friends, and of course I have realised that my ambition is to write professionally. There is plenty of sources of satisfaction in my life and perhaps I don’t count my blessings often enough.

The only down side is work, and yet ironically, today was actually quite enjoyable in the office. There was a lot to do; a glut of problems found their way onto my desk and I decided to fix them all by the close of business. I did, and received a few e-mails back from my customers thanking me. A small glow of human warmth in this place goes a million miles, and while I am probably in this rocky boat of turbulence with 8,000 others, it does sometimes feel good to have helped someone out of a face-off with their boss because their system wouldn’t work. Unfortunately for me, it isn’t enough for me to want to make it a life-long commitment!

I discovered my darling Mother reads my Blog. I had forgotten that by telling people about my website they might actually read it and she called me up. She was unaware that my determination to be a writer ran so deep and said she was impressed, but doesn’t know where it comes from and nor do I. Paul Auster summed that one up best when he said, “You don’t choose to be a writer; it chooses you.”

Before I headed off for my weekly Snooker match and pints of Kronenbourg, I sent in my Author Interview to KIC. I loved doing the interview, and I thought about doing the Radio show that KIC are involved with, but I really am unsure about this one. Aside from the time of day I would have to be on air (2 am), I suddenly find myself apprehensive to talk as a writer. I know I will have to do it eventually, I just don’t feel qualified or anywhere interesting enough. Then of course is the language barrier. My own doesn’t understand my West Coast accent half the time, so how could I expect several million Americans!

I also submitted a competition idea I have been working on to promote Hunting Jack. Ten questions about Scotland and the winner is to be drawn at random after a certain date. The prize is a month’s free subscription to HJ. That is if the editor agrees it can go, but I think it’s a good idea.

I also got an e-mail back from the photographer who I contacted to use his picture for the front cover for HJ. I will write to him tomorrow to say I am not using it now as I have already sent in my final version. I actually thought he wasn’t interested but he was – he just didn’t get back in time after I sent 2 follow-up e-mails with information. In a funny way, his non-reply meant that I ended up with a picture I am happier with. I almost felt bad for him, but as I read in my forum yesterday, when you are in this business, it is vital to be on time.

Colin 1:48 pm

2 Comments:

It's not only your Mother that's reading your daily Blog!
Happy Birthday, Big Man.
Happy birthday, Colin!

Zarina

Add a comment