Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Corporate Bull

We've all heard this phrase I'm sure. Perhaps it is an overused cliche, nevertheless it seems to so aptly apply to this hole of an office. I went to a meeting today; "The Way Forward" it was dubbed, and it was a briefing by our department manager on what the next steps are now they have shed all the staff they didn't want to keep on.

It truly amazes me how someone can get themselves so excited over Transfer Pricing, Balance Sheets and I.T. Services. But fair play, I looked at this man and thought how he must be so involved and absorbed by what he is doing, that he believes it to be a worthwhile investment in his life. I hope he looks back one day, like all of us, and is happy at what he see's he has done with his life. I know, without a shadow of uncertainty, that if I looked back and saw a life in commerce, the Rat Race, the endless struggles to be of higher status, then I will have wasted my life. I want to look back and think, "Yeah, I did something positive with my life and more importantly, it was what I wanted to do - not what I felt I HAD to do." And this is the difference. We are all different of course, but a lot of us are playing the same game, day in and day out, missing what is out there, the things that matter. Life itself takes a back seat.

I left the meeting having not heard anything that will actually help me in my job, so from that point of view it was a waste of time. Personally, I think this is still a sinking ship and when the big sharks start to surround us, we will be eaten whole and die. So be it. I really couldn't give a shit. Whenever D-Day comes, hopefully I will have already left. Hopefully, I will be, as someone called me the other day there, a professional author! Either way, I am damn sure I ain't leaving this earth having wasted my time sitting in some broken shell of an office.

Aside from all that, I read through the reasearch I got back from the East Midlands Ambulance Service - cheers Tony! I will incorporate the information Tony sent into these two issues next chance I get.

I spent the evening getting down to some marketing for Hunting Jack. I put together a presentation/advert for it and did the first flyer - an A4 poster that I will distribute around Edinburgh. I will also put together an A3 version and use it too. I took notes on other things I could be doing; use my press contacts to place adverts in newspaper supplements, place an ad in related publications and local papers, sub to search engines and cross link with other writers and publishers. The poster and advert are available on my site, colingalbraith.co.uk

I just got an e-mail from the editor of KIC - I have my first two paid subscribers!!!! Now I have the pressure of actually KNOWING somone is reading my work!!

I feel great!
Colin 11:33 am

2 Comments:

Colin:

I hear ya! My biggest fear is to reach the age of 70, look back and think about all the "What Ifs". Good luck on your marketing.

Brenda
I was your first paid sub...

DG

Add a comment