Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, September 20, 2004

Back To The Grindstone

God knows how I get away with it, but I redrafted issues 9 through to 12 today at work and sent off issues 9, 10 and 11 to KIC. I'm feeling better having not done anything all day yesterday and for some reason the story reads better today after a few adjustments and from taking time off from it.

Most of the shops in Edinburgh are closed for the Public Holiday today, so the streets are quieter but less buses. It's a joke. Don't the sandwich shops and Lothian Buses realise that most people still work on a holiday Monday, yet they still insist on putting on a Sunday service. Bunch of wallies.

I got an e-mail from the owner of the picture I want to use for the Hunting Jack cover on KIC. He wanted more information, I obliged, and now we shall see what happens.

I checked out the BBC - End Of Story website to see who had won under the Alexei Sayle story, Imitating Katherine Walker. I was amazed to see it was the one that I had placed LAST when I read through them all myself. I don't know where my first choice rated, but there you go. Writing and reading certainly is an individual thing when it comes down to it.

I got straight down to writing when I got back from work. I redrafted 12, and wrote 13, 14 and 15. I had to force myself to stop. I had gotten into such a roll that even if I had walked away to make a coffee the story would still have been appearing on the screen. Something happened in the story I did not expect hadn't planned. I turned to Gail and said, "Poor Jackie. I just went and put him in hospital. Poor bloke."

This isn't a problem - I'm not going to change it - it just means things are getting a little complicated for him now. I have to admit to this being the most exciting thing I have ever written. I cannot stop thinking about it, and all I want to do is keep on writing it. When I compare this to the novel that is in WIP they are totally different. Not so much in style, but how they are being written. Now that I'm almost 8 weeks ahead and KIC haven't even got my contract yet, I wil be able to settle down soon and be able to get back to working on the novel.
Colin 10:52 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment