Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A Day Off

I got the best sleep ever! I woke as usual at 7am and had to force myself to go back to sleep. It was worth it as I managed to sleep through until 1pm. And I felt fantastic after it. Best I've felt in a long time, totally recharged, awake and feeling great. Even better - the house was empty!

I put on a Jazz CD, brewed up some Blue Mountain and made a bacon sarny. Bliss.

Gail returned without Laura.

"Where's the wee yin?" I asked.

"At her Gran's. She'll be there all day and overnight. Tomorrow's a school holiday remember?"

Oh yes! The house would be free of weans, and plans of getting romantic with the wife were forming in my mind. Maybe a few drinks later, a meal in Fisher's even (great seafood place in Leith), who knows - the possibilities were endless.

Gail pulled out a folder of reports that she has been doing in her new job and asked if she minded if she borrowed the laptop for an hour.

"Sure thing babe!" I said, and left her to it.

Half a day later and I was still waiting. The time was now 9pm and because my PC is still lying in bits in the bedroom, I got nothing done at all. I did read more of John King's - The Prison House, and I watched a couple of my favourite older movies, Ocean's Eleven and Some Came Running, but that is all I achieved.

So intead of the big night out, we stayed in and watched a film - my third of the day - Alien, and ordered a Chinese takeaway.

Withdrawal symptoms were obvious by 1am, when I realised that by having written nothing all day my nervous system was paying the price. I was restless and my mind cluttered to the point that I was unable to get to sleep.

I finished the weekend on a high when I caught the final few shots of the Ryder Cup being played out. Well done to Europe for an amazing victory, and in particular, Scotland's very own Colin Montgomerie. He's been through the mill, and it was fitting he holed the winning put.

To do tomorrow: Make up for this day!
Colin 10:32 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment