Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday In The Park

Very early start this morning because I wanted to get stuck into Slick for a couple of hours. It never happened. After coffee I went round to the newsagent to pick up my cope of the Mail on Sunday, not a newapaper I would normally purchase but this week was different. They were giving away a free Madness live CD, part 2 of which is next Sunday.

CD in hand I walked excitedly back to the house to listen to the tunes. It's an excellent recording of a range of Madness concerts. Well worth the £1.20 the newspaper cost. The paper pitched it as; buy our Sunday newspaper and get a free CD on the cheap of an ageing 1980's pop band.

I saw it as; buy a cheap CD containing nostalgic, footstomping music of one of Britain's greatest treasures, and get a crappy Sunday paper for free.

After a read of the paper and some interesting short story ideas circled, we had bacon sandwiches and tea then headed off for the day to Inverkeith Park and the Botanical Gardens on the northern side of the city.

We were out for most of the day and covered a fair chunk of the place. We fed ducks and swans, watched the old geezers playing with their remote controlled boats on a pond. Some of them were quite good actually. They had working versions of home made replicas of an aircraft carrier and a steam boat, complete with tiny people on deck having a party and a small radio tucked inside the boat so it played music as it sailed.

We bought seeds and fed lots of grey squirrels, saw the first Robin Red Breast I've seen in many years, and spent a while in the tropical centre looking at their palm trees and chilli plants.

So I never got started writing until much later than intended. I had a good evening writing. I hit a sticky patch with Ronnie's current situation, but forced it through to get to the next section. I'm now back with Lennox, still in London, but he's got a lead. Lennox is exciting me. He's smart but not infallible, and he knows it. He has the Glaswegian humour which he uses to good effect on his Cockney colleagues. But he's shady in a good way, like there is so much to know about him that he could never tell. Only actions can bring that out. His working partner, DS Clare Mulholland, is cool, and as sharp as a tack. They work well together, bouncing ideas and strategies about. There's a lot of respect and I'm really enjoying writing about them.

I wrote almost 6k on day 1 of Nano. 5k more and I've done it so if I can finish on an equal high, tomorrow could be the day. Failing that, Tuesday.

Finally, I'd like to say a big congratulations to Devon for completing NaNoWriMo this year. She's the first person I know who is doing that and has completed it. As they say where I come from, "Gaun' yersel' hen!"

NaNo words today: 2474

NaNoWriMo Progress

Colin 9:13 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment