Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Rest Day 1

After a week away from the Saturday morning routine it was good to hop into town, get my cappuccino and choccie pastry and scribble some ideas for Slick into my notebook. It was good to be back and good to just be.

It was cold outside, the overnight frost melting and leaving slippery conditions underfoot, which I managed to make full use of when I slipped on my arse as I strolled confidently past a full bus stop of Saturday morning shoppers. I swore at the pavement and pointed at the ground, then sheepishly wandered off trying to reclaim my confidence but it never quite happened.

I got a rejection in from One Story. "Dear Writer.... [insert standard one line rejection text here]." The magazine is moving further away from my own direction and I think I'll be removing them from my list. They do have the worst laid out rejection slips I've ever been sent - and I'm an expert on those.

Spent the afternoon doing some crazy things, not NaNo related. Laura wanted a make over but none of her pals were out playing. So I bravely volunteered to slap on some blusher, eyeliner, lipstick, eye shadow and nail varnish. By the end of it she looked like a clown escaped from the local circus. Here she is for your entertainment.

I spent the rest of the afternoon playing with Laura and the animals, cleaning them out and making sure all is ok in the Galbraith Zoo. Darkness fell as we were finishing so the evening was settled in a family fashion in front of the telly and with a home-delivery courtesy of Pizza Hut.

Sad to report that I had my first day with absolutely NO words written towards my novel. I went against all my instincts and aims and decided on a restful day. Although I'm a tad disappointed, it's not going to last for two reasons. First, I needed a break. I was getting into a rut with the manuscript which felt like I had lost some direction and I needed to take stock. Second, I did promise myself I would have a couple of rest days and this is the first I have taken. It's only annoying because I am so close to completing, but I have the full 100k novel to consider in this as well.

NaNo is a cert now. Getting this published is anything but.

NaNo words today: 0

NaNoWriMo Progress

Colin 10:02 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment