Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, June 23, 2006

Eyes Down

For some reason I woke up at 06:40 and bounced out of bed, got showered and had drunk my coffee and boarded the 07:17 bus into town. Just not me if the last couple of weeks is anything to go by. Maybe the advent of the Summer Solstice had something to do with it. Or perhaps it is the news that the 23rd June is apparently "the happiest day of the year". We shall see.

I was only in work until lunchtime before I headed off through to Glasgow for an appointment at the Glasgow Caledonian University Eye Clinic. Time for me to get a new set of contact lenses but I stupidly forgot to bring my prescription. The result of an hour journeying through was a brief meeting in the waiting room with the Optometrist as she told me that without either me wearing my contacts (my supply ran out a year ago), or my prescription, there was nothing she could do.

If it weren't for the fact I was meeting my sister for a drink and dinner, then it would have been a total waste of time.

It was about then, that I found out I missed out on the chance of a small fortune. My mate, Dave, has bought into a horse syndicate. His horse, Moonwalking, was running in the 3pm at Ayr and he said it might be worth a couple of quid each-way, but it wasn't expected to do anything as it is just setting out on its racing career. At 25-1, I believed him.

My intention was to put a fiver on the nose and a couple of quid each-way but I never got time to visit a bookies after coming out the Eye Clinic. I checked the result on my way to meet my sister. The bloody horse won - and it did it at odds of 50-1!! I missed out on over 250 guineas. I was not best pleased.

I met with my sister and we had a pleasant dinner. We opted for Frankenstein's Bar and Restaurant and did some catching up over a couple of beers and a bowl of chilli. The next time I will see her or anyone else from my family, will be at my other sister's wedding on July 8th.

I got back from Glasgow in time to help with the clearing out of our bedroom. A massive effort is being stirred that me and Gail can decorate our bedroom in one weekend. Well, everything except the carpet (next weekend) and the new cupboards/drawers (not ordered yet). It's a tall order, but I'm sure if Nick Knowles can do it, then so can we.

Confirmation emails came in from Forward Press regarding my poems submission and from a publisher who has sent me all their requirements if I want to send them Stella.

Got to get all those letters and synopses out next week and I simply must get Hunting Jack complete.
Colin 11:08 pm

1 Comments:

Aaaargh! I have no idea how much 250 guineas is in US dollars, but it sounds like a lot!
You sound like me on the betting game - when I want to bet but don't I always, always would have won! And of course when I do bet...

Add a comment