Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Jackie Lives On And February's GDR
I completed the first re-draft of Hunting Jack. I gathered all the individual issues together and compilated them into a single manuscript. This is the first time the Hunting Jack novel has existed in such a format. Previously it has been saved in 81 individual issues of between 1,000 and 2,000 words. The word count according to this newly united manuscript is 90,600 words through 38 chapters.
The ending is different in that I chopped off what was effectively the final issue of the serial, thereby leaving the story wide open for 'what happens next'. Also, Stevie Love, the gangster's gangster, lives through it all and doesn't get killed in the final scene after all.
This means that I have created what is the second/middle book of a series. The first book would logically cover the Glasgow Ice-Cream Wars of 1983/4, Jackie's adoption and his family's 'disappearance'.
The next book may be a London based one, following Jackie growing up and his identity conflicts. It might be better served going straight to Hunting Jack; I'd have to think longer about that one.
After Hunting Jack comes the really exciting bit. I would be writing in real-time and decisions would have to be made about what has happened to Jackie since 1995 (when HJ is set). Where does he live, with who, and what does he do? What's his purpose? Then of course, there is Stevie Love and the part he has to play in all this.
It's all very exciting. I feel myself being more drawn towards writing what happens after Hunting Jack at this moment in time. My mind is cultivating all sorts of ideas. Maybe I hit on more than I realised when the idea for Jackie McCann first came into my mind at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2004.
While I am completing the writing Stella(which I simply must get diown on paper), I am going to formulate strong themes and ideas for the sequal to Hunting Jack. My first novel, A Friend To Die For, may have to wait longer.
February's GDR List
* Work on Stella
* Complete first refradft of Hunting Jack - (76/81 done in Jan)
* Change ending to Hunting Jack
* Keep on top of submissions list
* Write poems if the moment takes
* Write story/article for Being Dad Anthology - still pending
* Write four weekly blog entries for TSDR
* Write and submit another step-dad article for Interactive Dad
Marketing and Promotion
* Continue marketing and promotion of Fringe Fantastic (see s/sheet for details)
* Follow up FF review/interview requests
* Keep website up to date
Reading and Research
* Release Tall Tales and Short Stories Vol.2 into the wild - really have to do this
* Read from my 'waiting to be read' pile
* Research The Cold War
* Stay on top of editorial work for TSDR
ORDER a copy of my latest book, FRINGE FANTASTIC!
For more information about Fringe Fantastic, please go to the website: http://fringefantastic.colingalbraith.co.uk