Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Visual Alterations

It occurred to me while arriving at work how much our building resembles a satanic monster gobbling up all life surrounding it. As you walk up the steps the glass doors invite you in, but the large, dark, overhanging roof protrudes outwards and seems to swallow everyone who comes near. It's like the tractor beam on the Death Star! It is at this point each day, I lose my natural glow and succumb to the robotic and repetitive actions of working here. At least the coffee tasted not bad today.

I'm growing tired of wearing contact lenses. I like to wear them on nights out etc. but I think I will invest in a good pair of glasses that I can wear daily. At the moment I wear my lenses every day apart from at work but I am fed up with them. The glases I have are old and falling apart.

It sounds a poor thing to say, but when I was chasing women throughout my teens and twenties, glasses just weren't a cool thing to wear; there was no Harry Potter when I was growing up. Contact lenses were my saviour from that point of view. I'm married now and I'm 31 years old and don't do the skirt-chasing thing anymore. To be honest, I couldn't give a shit what people think I look like anyway. I mean - my tie is never pushed up, I sometimes don't shave for several days and sometimes, just sometimes, I let my hair grow back to several millimetres!

The problem is, what kind of glasses to get? I fancy a pair that are not just practical but that look good. I've got a strong prescription (minus five each eye) and so I need thick lenses. The pair I wear just now were specially thinned out and had to be imported so if I'm going to do that again I need to get the right frames. I quite like the look of some of the thicker, obvious type specs. Bold and impressioning - that's the way forward.

There are some things I might have to accept will not get done this month. Possibly the sitcom script will have to be ditched as I don't think I have the time. With the deadlines for Hunting Jack quite tight at the moment and all the energy I am putting into my poetry and short stories, not to mention the house move - I don't think it will be possible.

One project I still want to complete though is the travel article on Edinburgh's literary figures. This is a higher priority than a sitcom script, which is more of a novelty than anything else. If it won I wouldn't be able to work in London for several weeks anyway.

Throughout the day I got some work done. I edited issue 69 and wrote issue 70 over lunch! It continues to work and for once, I was excited to be at my desk.

Colin 10:58 am

2 Comments:

"tractor beam from the Death Star". You crack me up.
For some reason, I can hear the Imperial theme running through my head.... :)

Add a comment