Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Red Lesbians

Today was all about tonight. My pal Stuart Howie played his first gig in his new band at the Queen Margaret Union (QMU) in Glasgow. I decided to cover the gig for the KIC magazine and so took along my Digicam to get video footage and photographs.

Unintentionally though, I double-booked my evening– arranging to go to Glasgow for the gig and forgetting we had a viewing period for the house. I nearly cancelled going through if Gail’s Mum hadn’t agreed to accompany her as I didn’t want to leave her in the house on her own when any old weirdo could just show up at the door.

Most of the day was therefore taken up with looking after Laura and house polishing – again! Top to bottom, walls, mirrors, floors and ceilings. I got most of it done before dropping off Laura and heading up to Haymarket to meet Rob who was picking me up to drive through to Glasgow.

We headed through and went for a drink in the Tennent’s Bar on Byres Road before heading into the gig. Which was surprisingly good.

Four bands were lined up to play - all local unsigned bands. The first couple were pretty poor, kind of like poor imitations of Nirvana. But the standard definitely improved. Stoo's band - The Red Lesbians (I still don't know why) - played their own songs and they were very good for their first ever gig. They brought a small band of loyal fans with them and although the venue was nowhere near packed the atmosphere was quite good for a student shindig. Maybe that was due to the £1 a pint at the bar - who knows?

Here's some pics:
Click to enlarge













Colin 3:17 pm

1 Comments:

Wee Stoo fae The Red Lesbians here. Terrific set of sample pics - looking forward to the full selection!!!

Add a comment