Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

A Hectic Day

My brain got a good rest last night and pinged into life in record time for a Tuesday. I had to be in town with Laura mid-morning to pick up the keys to the new house for a window survey. It turns out the double-glazing isn’t up to standard so we need a valuation so we can bargain down the price of the house to the value of the new windows we have to put in by law.

So Laura and me headed off and collected the keys but with an hour or so to spare we went into town for a wee gander. I showed Laura where Jackie has spent the last two nights and where he has spent some time over the last few issues. She finds it weird how I talk about him as if he is real.

We passed an advert for an Andy Warhol exhibition which is in town, and Laura wants to go see it. I’ll try and take her towards the end of the week when I have more time. I was hoping to take her up to Calton Hill this afternoon but we spent so long in the new house we ran out of time. If the weather is clear on Thursday or Friday we’ll do it then and try and fit the exhibition if possible.

While we were packing for the house move a few weeks ago, I came across a couple of traveller's cheques worth 100 Euros. I must have mislaid them after one of my trips abroad. I popped into Thomas Cook and sold them back for £65. That'll pay for my new CD/DVD rewriter I'm planning on getting.

Laura and I walked up to the new house. A few of the neighbours noticed our presence and seemed interested in our appearance. It was Laura’s first time inside the house and she loved it. There was much excitement while I showed her around and where her new bedroom is going to be. She loves the garden and took a liking to the conservatory. Gail arrived shortly after on her lunch break and it was the first time we were all in the house together. The day we finally own it and move in is going to be very special.

The bloke from the window company arrived and took down all the details and gave us his spiel but we already knew most of what we wanted. The quote came in as we expected so now it’s back over to the solicitors.

Gail's lunch hour ran out so in the afternoon I took down detailed notes of the dimensions and locations of radiators and cubby-holes so we can start to plan carpets and bed location etc. Then Laura and me had to go back into town to drop the keys back off at the solicitors before coming straight back home again. From leaving for the keys to getting home again took all of five hours! By then it was almost dinnertime so I had got no time to write at all.

Gail returned from the dentist after a traumatic experience. She went to bed early after some TLC from yours truly so I was left to feed and get Laura sorted. I had Laura coughing in her bedroom and across the hall Gail feeling sorry for herself after the dentist - my nursing talents were much in demand for the best part of the night.

I never got to writing until about 8pm but I went well into the night. Both my girls were finally asleep by 11pm so I was undisturbed from then on. I worked mostly on The Oasis and wrote notes for Bill McCarthy and HJ before giving up with tiredness.
Colin 1:44 pm

1 Comments:

The Warhol exhibition is at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/

Add a comment