Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, February 12, 2005

A Writer's Dilemma

I had Laura all day and it was tough going. Some days she can be so easy to be with, but other days there is no pleasing her and the tantrums flow left right and centre. Today was one of those days. I never got a moments peace even during the rugby (Scotland got humped again, this time by Ireland) – the only time I put aside hoping for relevant calm but it never came. I ended up putting her to bed early before I went totally insane.

Gail had a night out so I set up the laptop out and got to work on the articles. I need to get them in quickly and I am going to included last nights gig as part of the music column. I got through a lot and it is really just the travel one giving me problems now. Still have to find a play though!

I got a couple of interesting emails to day. One was from my Ed at KIC asking if I would help judge a playwright contest. I agreed and she sent over the scripts anonymously. I spent the evening reading them and enjoyed doing it, though I'm not sure if I am qualified but I scored them honestly.

I got another from my Ed at Wild Child. The US/UK language issue is continuing. Apparently the words I fixed with genuine double-meanings aren’t what she meant. It is words like “lots” she wants removed because the English don’t use them in the context I have. This is rubbish and I think I will have to withdraw the story from the magazine. There is nothing more I want more for Heart of a Child than to see it published, but the changes she wants made now are way beyond the reasonable expected. I am not an expert in the English language to the extent some people are, but the word “lots” is in the dictionary, it is used in every day life in Britain and it is relevant to the story (told from the eyes of a young boy).

It is a dilemma and I have to detach myself from the artistic desire somehow and see that I am not sure if this story is going to get what it deserves.

Colin 11:16 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment