Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

So Much For Planning

As I write this entry for Wednesday 16th February, the time is roughly 3pm on Sunday 20th February.

The reason for my lack of currency in the blogging game is down to a week of hectic shenanigans and rushing around like a mad man. I have exhausted myself mentally and physically over the last few days and my writing has suffered.

This was the week that promised so much more on the writing front. I took the week off essentially to look after Laura and save money on the school club fees. I knew I would be busy but I would have Monday and Wednesday to write solid. Monday worked out fine as you already know, but the rest of the week rolled forward unstoppably and time flew with it. It became harder to find the time or energy to write and to say I am shattered, is an understatement. Not only have I struggled to write fiction, but I haven't blogged or been onto my writing forum.

Forgive me if much of the following entries between Wednesday and Sunday read like event listings.

Wednesday
So much for planning. I wrote into the early hours last night, safe in the knowledge I would be able to get up later and have the day to myself to continue writing. Laura would be at her Grans again and after I would go to snooker and return to write into the night again.
Not so.

Gail came through to the room and asked why I told Laura she was going to her Grans today.

“Because she is. She always goes on a Wednesday," said I.

“Not today,” Gail said, surprised. “She’s staying here.”

Wonderful.

As the discussion continued and I was waking up to the reality I was only going to get about four hours sleep and not get time to write during the day, there was a knock at the door. It was the MIL.

When told of the situation she agreed to take Laura for the day and thus, the miracle was complete. I was saved. She would be back earlier in the afternoon though – that was the deal. Which meant I couldn't in fact go out as I planned because Laura may, or may not, be back around 3pm.

So I caught up with my sleep until about mid-day then got up, had some coffee and got ready.
I spent the afternoon working on a website design for a new customer. It’s an exciting project, which is going to require an interesting approach due to the specifications I’ve been given. I’m putting together a load of templates for them to look at and hopefully they will like some of the designs I give them.

I’ve become distant from current affairs due to being on holiday. I’ve not been able to check any news websites, online newspapers or even buy a paper. Even time spent in my writing group is suffering though I did manage to logon and catch up briefly.

Laura returned home for dinner and I went to snooker. I would much rather have wrote. Things are getting in the way, but I can't complain. A balance needs to be gained but there is so much going on it is impossible to do everything.
Colin 3:13 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment