Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, February 14, 2005

A Full Day Of Creativity

I got up just after Gail left for work not long after eight o'clock. With the house still in top shape after yesterday it was an absolute pleasure to get ready in a quiet, tidy, peaceful house. If only it could be like this more often.

Before I started my writing there was some stuff I needed to take care of - I checked my email, took care of some banking and filed away some correspondence. Then the phone went - it was Gail saying we've had two notes of interest for the flat. I tried to keep her from getting too excited since they aren't actual offers - but it's a step closer nevertheless.

I redrafted two KIC articles and wrote two issues of Hunting Jack before lunch. It's moving into Paul Auster territory now with Jackie really having to deal with a solitary life on the street and severe loneliness. It's hard to write about from an emotional point of view because I hate putting him through it, but it's also very challenging. Without actually doing it, I'm putting myself into his shoes as much as possible. He's learning with every sentence and I see it more as a rite of passage before the next phase of the story.

I stopped for lunch at about 1pm and then went for a walk to the shop. It was cold and I was glad I remembered my bunnet. I never realised how many learner drivers there are round here on a mid-week during the day.

I bought the essentials at the shop - coffee and newspaper - and got Laura a Valentine's Card for when she comes home tonight. I did the same last year but she recognised my writing instantly despite me trying to alter the flow of the pen. I remember her saying; "Never mind Dad, it's the thought that counts." So wise, for one so young.

When I got home I wrote the card out with my left hand. It's barely legible so hopefully she won't suss it was me.

Into Hunting Jack and I've complicated things with a new character. Jackie was in Leith and bumped into a "well-kent" face from around town. Which posed a problem so I changed his physical traits as much as possible but retained his aura - which is significant. He's called Victor and is Jamaican born, has a gold tooth and cane, and his dreadlocks hang matted down his back. But please don't judge the book.....

I researched and wrote another four issues during the afternoon so at this rate I'll have my thirteen issues down by the end of the week and can concentrate on other work before going back to edit them. My subscribers are catching up fast and I think I'm only about 2 or 3 weeks ahead of my first reader.

Gail and I swapped Valentine's cards when she got home. We both refuse to do any more due to the OTT exploitism (?) of the whole thing. Besides, I prefer to send Gail flowers out of the blue and do and I don't have to do it on Feb 14th to prove I'm romantic. As for meals - most restaurants hike their prices on this day so what's the point in paying over for a meal in a packed restaurant when you can get it cheaper in the same restaurant when it's not crowded with couples proving their love. Who needs it? All you need is a cuddle and whisper.

I moved onto edits with the short story's I have on the go just now in the evening and by 10pm I had written, more or less, for about 12 consecutive hours. I felt drained, tight and 100% satisfied. This is what my life should be like every day.

I closed off the evening with a relaxing cuppa' and an episode of The Soprano's from my Christmas DVD.
Colin 4:46 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment