Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2005

More Research

I took the opportunity of a spare morning while Laura was at dancing to go up town for an hour and do some research for Hunting Jack. Some of the descriptions of Jackie’s life in and around the centre of town are sparse and not detailed enough. So I used the voice recorder of my phone to take notes and observations in the area he is currently in.

It proved useful in recording finer details of the streets and surrounding lanes, but also as a way of recording my overall feelings of the area and the people. When trying to simulate Jackie’s situation, you do get an overwhelming feeling of being very small, vulnerable and scared. These are the qualities I have to get across in a more subtle way. There is lots of opportunity in these few issues for metaphor but I need to get a move on before my subscribers catch up and I get the editor chasing at my heels.

On my way back along George Street I noticed a CD and Record Fair at the Assembly Rooms. I always seem to miss the event so I popped in and had a look around. It was great to see thousands of vinyl records for sale and some at excellent prices. My problem is I have everything Madness ever recorded on vinyl and so looking for the old stuff is a waste of time. In fact, there is so much to choose from at events like this it is possible to spend the entire day just browsing.

I never bought anything, but I did listen in on a couple of interesting conversations between sellers and buyers I might use later.

I collected Laura from her dance class and went to a bakery to buy lunch; bridies, pies and sausage rolls. We got the bus home and after spending some time with Laura and getting her ready for a party, I managed to get down to some writing.

I wrote up most of the music column though I am disappointed with some of the photos. They came off onto the camera superbly but the transfer to PC has darkened and blurred them. I will need to adjust them manually to get them submittable.

Exhaustion set in early. The last few days have been horrendously exhausting and it all caught up with me by about 9.30pm - so I went to bed. I read The Red Notebook by Paul Auster and found a great deal of inspiration from it (to the point I dreamt about it). It's all I could manage and I'm afraid of not meeting any of my GDR's for February. The heat is well and truly on.
Colin 5:16 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment