Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, February 21, 2005

Marzetti And A Birthday

They say lightning doesn’t strike twice in the same place. Codswallop! After watching The Soprano’s on DVD until 2.30am last night I went to bed and slept through till the phone rang at 9.30am in the knowledge Gail was off to work and Laura safely delivered to her Grans as discussed.

Laura ran through to my bedroom to tell me the phone was ringing.

I never even knew she was in the house.

Gail assumed I was attempting to squirm out of baby-sitting - not so, but I couldn’t believe this had happened again. Only last week I was asked if I wanted Laura could go to her Grans on the Mondays and Wednesdays. I agreed because I wanted to write and get on with some personal stuff. So how this all managed to get turned on its head is beyond me. Needless to say though, it was all my fault so I just got on with it.

My parents were coming over later in the afternoon so after a quick tidy I started preparing dinner. Marzetti; a classic Italian/Scottish hybrid meal which is simply a favourite for everyone I make it for. It was my Mum who gave me the recipe in actual fact, so I had to make it just right.

Before they arrived I got some writing done and started to catch up with the discussions in my writing group. The notes from last night are very good and I have started to incorporate them into Hunting Jack. By doing this, I will expand the number of issues naturally.

My folks arrived while Laura was at her swimming class so I took them over to see our new house; their first time seeing it in ‘the flesh’. There wasn’t much to see from only the front of the house but that will soon change when we officially get the keys.

With everyone back in the house we sat down to a lovely meal of Marzetti, garlic bread and Chianti.

While working on Hunting Jack during the evening, I came to realise two important things.
First, on checking my notes I realised today is Jackie's birthday. There is no significance in the date, other than when I was mapping back into his past the date was plucked more or less from thin air. He is 26 - the same age as my wife. Odd? Perhaps - though there are similarities. Both have had the kind of lives that only strong-willed and independent people could survive. Both have multi-faceted personalities, much of which is still probably unknown. And both have had to face issues beyond their years but still managed to retain a down to earth, childish charm.

Second, the section of the story I am writing is being held back and I realised why. Up until now I have been comfortable writing an issue at a time. Many issues form part of a larger plot line, and others are shorter, more individual passages. The trouble with the current section is I am trying to write such a large (and important) section while keeping to this format. Put simply - it ain't working.

So, I have removed the titles (Issue xx etc.) and have pulled each of the six issues in question into the one larger piece. This way I can work on it more comfortably and once complete, I will go back and split it into relevant issue lengths.

There are problems with this approach though. I don't know if I am going to end up with more issues or less issues of greater length. I suppose I will have to wait and see. It is such an important part of the story though, I cannot let the impending deadline rush me into messing it up. Jackie is unaware of what is happening to him in the bigger picture, but I do, and controlling this is a test of my writing skills.

Tally ho!
Colin 2:24 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment