Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2005

At A Loose End

The rugby trip was cancelled.

I was gutted and more than a tad angry. To have it called off so late was bad enough, but I had given up other things in order to go; things that couldn’t be put back on.

For example, I had wanted to go to Easter Road to support St.Mirren when they played Hibs in the Scottish Cup. Since it is impossible to get tickets on the day of the game, I couldn't go.

I also gave up the chance to go and see This R 2-Tone last night. The gig was a 3am finish and today's rugby session was supposed to start at 10am, hence my reluctance to go.

I ended up watching the rugby on the TV (Scotland beat Italy), listening to the Hibs v St.Mirren game (Hibs won 2-0) and writing.

Laura had a bunch of her pals over for her birthday party in the afternoon(she will be 8 on Tuesday). They assembled in the house and then Gail and her Mum took them all to the pictures with wee bags of sweets and juice for the movie. This of course meant I had quite time to watch the game but I was still reeling at having to miss all the fun. I couldn’t go to the movies either since as there was no room in the cars. And I couldn't have a beer with the rugby as there was none in the fridge!

I stayed behind and made them all party food for when they got back; sandwiches, cocktail sausages, crisps and cake etct. Laura had a great time – lots of presents and attention and sweets. Everything a growing wee girl needs.

A headache came on over the right side of my head so lay down for a couple of hours later in the afternoon. I got up about 8pm for dinner then wrote through to 2am. I'm fighting through the passages forming this part of Jackie's story; slowly but surely. I have already formed the next few issues in my minds so I just need to get it done, and get it out.
Colin 11:59 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment