Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Friday, December 03, 2004

A New Character And A Pile Of Work

Incredibly, I was up and dressed before Gail. I even left the house before she had showered. Normally I will stay in bed so as not to get in the way of the females in the house as they race around getting dressed, doing make-up, looking for reading books or car keys – it’s just safer.

With the darkness lasting longer in the mornings though, for some reason I am the opposite to most of the other Scots who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) - which is a crock of shit by the way – it’s just called laziness. I like the dark mornings – they make me want to get up and get out, feel the coldness, the freshness and city as it still sleeps in its SAD slumber.

Not only this, but I am more productive early morning. My brain seem sot be more alive and able to construct ideas and coherent words come more easily.

I saw a girl on the bus and she will make a great character in a story. Not that I'm a weirdo but she just stood out as someone with mountains of personality. She sat opposite me doing her make-up as the bus groaned and bumped its way up Leith Walk, yet she never slipped or smudged. She wasn’t a "yuppie" type, she looked like an art student or a grunge shop assistant at first sight with her long khaki green coat on and pink plastic earrings, her blonde hair tied back in a rush and an adventure bag holding all her bits and bobs. As I watched her paint though, I noticed she wore smart black trousers and shiny-heeled shoes underneath – does she work in an office? Quite possibly going by this new evidence. She looked like a Louise, and about 20 years old. She was probably out partying last night hence the baggy eyes disappearing with the expert brushes from her hand with nails painted pick. Her blue eyes pierced a friendly jab at anyone who caught her eye. She probably hates her job, but enjoys her evenings and weekends so much it doesn’t bother her – yet.

I got through a load of writing work today - mostly plans and notes for some short stories, Hunting Jack (the next phase) and I applied for two freelance writing jobs - one reviewing pubs and restaurants in Edinburgh - the other for a tourist company covering Edinburgh and Glasgow. The applications took a while to do but I oozed with brainstorming creativity today and made the most of it.

On my way home I spotted a free magazine in the supermarket as I stocked up on some vitals. It's called The Leither, and is a local general interest mag. I grabbed a copy and will send them some information on my story - probably offer a free subscription to my story and try and get an interview. Unlike most freebie/local rags it is actually very well put together and already covers some local arts - including a publishing company I knew nothing about.

When I got in from work I got caught up on a whole load of email and correspondence from the world's Madness fans and made some website updates. I was involved with some correspondence with my editor at KIC discussing the logo's to the website columns I have written, the radio show and the live chat forum for customers. Alas, it doesn't look like I can do the radio interview, as I would have to call California, though if there is a way round this I will find it. To top it all off, customer P4 renewed their subscription to HJ - ya wee beauty!

*PHEW* It's been a bust day. I'm off to bed!
Colin 11:14 pm

1 Comments:

Jackpot! What bus do you get, I'm heading over!! *4*

Add a comment