Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, November 08, 2004

Nipple Problems And NaNoWriMo

The weather over Edinburgh was so nice this morning, it was a real downer having to go into work. Mild and calm with a blue sky behind the jutting branches of tree-lined streets, casually dropping golden leaves onto the cobbled ground. I love that scene, and I love mornings like these; it makes me want to sit on a bench and just think about things, watch people, observe the city functioning and the life all around. Yet I drag myself to this hovel of tightly packed bodies, all (most) of which with their compressed brains and little desire to do anything else than satisfy their bosses agendas.

Georgina, one of the Admin girls in here, handed in her notice a few weeks back and an email came round for her night out this Friday. She is going home to Australia; signing off from the ratrace to pursue other interests. She’s young and a recent graduate so I know she won’t mind me saying she is totally wasted in here doing what she has been. Not sure if I can make it to her night out but it makes me jealous to see people make the break, and I wish it all the more for myself. I have ties though, and this entails my transition will be slower – not unachievable. People who say I shouldn’t make the same break can go and boil their heads.

For a couple of weeks now my left nipple has been giving me some jip. It started off as a slight pain but it got to the point where the pain was so intense I couldn’t not wear my shirt without feeling it. It became extremely sensitive to the touch and as a result, was stiff beyond all natural expectations most of the time. It was permanently stiff and the constant rubbing from any top I wore seemed to make it worse.

On Saturday I found myself looking for “male nipple problems” on the internet but only found websites that catered for gay fetishes rather than health problems. I asked Gail if I should see a doctor, she stifled a laugh.

Tonight Gail asked to take a look and promptly told me to squeeze it. Squeeze my nipple?! I hate my nipples being tugged, pulled, manhandled, bitten, anything! But the pain was getting so bad I had to do something, so I inserted my little pink mountain between my two fore-fingers and started to squeeze. A little white dot appeared just on the tip of the nipple itself - my eyes watered and I wanted to scream. I waited ten minutes and tried again. This time a huge pop echoed through the house and a big blob of puss tore through the skin of the nipple and landed on the floor in front of me. After the initial shock of this unwelcome outburst, I noticed the pain start to subside almost immediately. Weeks of torment it seemed, were about to draw to a close. There is of course a lesson to be learned in all of this: never leave it too late to squeeze a sensitive nipple.

I added the NaNoWriMo speedometer to my Blog in an attempt to provoke some action out of me. Every day I will see it and hopefully it will act as a spur. I made a start during the day to the story – made some initial notes on the protagonist, gave him a name and a very rough idea of the story. There is huge gaps which I am confident enough to know will be filled out for me when I get into it. Fingers crossed, because I quite like the idea. Working title for this novel: A Point Of View.

The latest issue of Greenshoots Magazine was released on the website in PDF format. None of the five poems I submitted in the middle of August were used, however, the magazine itself was published in August so I will check it again at the start of next year to make sure they did not put it forward for the next publication given my submission was so late. There are no deadlines so you never know. I entered them into my submission tracker as rejections for the time being anyway.

When I got home I wrote around 1500 words of A Point Of View, redrafted issue 27 of Hunting Jack and made a start on issue 28. Then it was the finale of The Soprano's fifth season - superb stuff - had me revitted the whole way through.

An email came in from my editor at KIC; she has withdrawn 32 stories from production because the author's were not 9 issues ahead at the beginning and she is about to check which authors are not 9 issues ahead at any point in the middle....better make sure I keep going!
Colin 10:12 pm

3 Comments:

Your description of squeezing your nipple is possibly one of the most disturbing things that I have ever read.
If your novels are so graphic, then you will make a fortune, mate!
Colin:

Switch to an underwire bra!!! Just kidding.

I agree with the other comment, very well written and my chest hurt reading it.

BK
Oh, gross! Why did I read that?!

Zarina
(Hope you're feeling better. As a marathon runner, I know a thing or two about sensitive nipples.)

Add a comment