Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, November 03, 2004

A Day On The Town

Bush won – Blair looked relieved – many of my American friends were not impressed.

Met my bro’ in Filthy McNasty’s – a nice wee bar in Rose Street at 11am. It was more or less empty but that was fine as we had a lot of catching up to do – as is always the case with their being so many miles and time between each of these events. A few beers later and we headed over to The World’s End in St. Mary’s Street so the rest of the lads could dump their luggage in the nearby Travel Lodge and meet in a local place.

For some reason the woman behind the bar gave me a glass of Red Bull then poured two Mocha’s for us. Our confusion was baffling; "That’s not a can of Red Bull and two vodka’s," said I. "Oh, I am such a tube," said shen and the bar laughed in unison at her error.

Soon enough Paul Stewart arrived and the one and only Group Captain CVO (so called due to a lifetime of dedicated service protecting the Realm in the name of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II).

We went to some more bars ending up in Stockbridge before hitting the West End and Rose Street again. I was bestowed a huge honour by the Group Captain CVO – a genuine Glengarry with orange plume, for "services above and beyond the call of duty." I shall wear it with pride.
The only thing was, I had to get on my knees before him to receive the honour which attracted a few raised eyebrows from the local’s unaccustomed to Royal honours being flaunted in their faces – so to speak. That sounds quite gay so I’ll stop there!

It was a fantastic day. No sightseeing - just laughter. Much needed laughter.
Colin 2:55 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment