Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, September 13, 2004

Churning Out The Chang

Woke up still feeling tired, as if I hadn't slept much at all. I feel as if I have a cold coming on and it took me ages to get myself into gear this morning. TWO coffee's were duly administered and a quick blast of It Mek by Desmond Dekker before I started to feel better. Got into work late however, and to my surprise no-one was there to moan. Can't get the staff these days!

My inbox contained a standard rejection from The Summerset Review for The Choppers. I'm obviously disappointed, but to be honest I wasn't expecting it to be accepted. Call it a hunch, but after I sent it off I changed it quite a bit and so knew the original wasn't of publishable standard.

Current Subs list now reads:

1 serial pitch to Keep It Coming
2 short stories to Writing Magazine
1 short story to Sol Magazine
1 short story to the Bridport Competition
5 poems to Greenshoots Magazine
3 poems to The Poetry Kit
2 poems to About The Arts

Got five hours of work done after dinner. I wrote issue/chapter 11 of Hunting Jack but it wasn't easy. I knew where it was starting and where I wanted it to end, but had to really think this one through carefully before I put pen to paper. Eventually it came and it felt right. I realised I wasn't setting the foundations of his friendship with a girl he has met, and so have expanded on this issue further, adding some intrigue into her own life. This resulted in some manipulation earlier in the story but the applecart is so far, still solid.

I then took a step back, printed off the entire manuscript so far and read it from start to finish with a red pen. There were a few mistakes to correct and alterations to be made, several tweaks, additions, deletions and corrections.

I believe that upto and including issue/chapter 11, I have something to be proud of thus far. The story is tight and moving at a good pace, there is plenty going on to keep the interest of any reader, the cliffhangers are sublime (some of which purposefully built in), and I think it is an entertaining read. I SO want this to get the go ahead!!
Colin 10:58 am

1 Comments:

Good luck on the KIC submission!

Brenda

Add a comment