Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

An Octopus Called Research

Last night I wrote a story called Loaded which is based in Krakow in Poland. So this morning I needed to find out some basic information like currency, hotel and railway locations, things like that. One thing led to another and before I know what I was doing I was reading about Oswiecim (Auschwitz), the history of Poland from the 11th to 17th Centuries, and the pollution brought to the city by the advent of their massive steelworks industry.

It is indeed startling to think that the germ for this story was planted in a bar in Stockbridge where it was entered into my notebook. A few weeks later it found itself growing onto the page of my word processor in my PC, and then today researched across the internet into a political and historical study. And that is one of the things I like about writing - opening your mind to things you would probably never read or see. I know it's only the internet, but Poland is now on my list of places I want to go and visit....when before it wasn't.

I found out I will be working this Saturday night at 10pm. Not the most socially pleasing hour to be working, but as well as the cash boost, I will probably come into the office early and get some writing done in peace. I will be working through until about 4am but a lot of it will be waiting about for people to test the software I have implemented so I can get a lot done. I may, just may, get stuck into the idea I had yesterday and see if it comes to anything for KIC.

Wednesday's are non-writing nights. I play snooker with my Father-in-Law, have a few beers and a laugh. During the quiet moments though, I find my mind wandering to my writing. I can't help it. I'm becoming an obsessive.
Colin 1:38 pm

0 Comments:

Add a comment