Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Talking To Writers

Saturday was taken up with chores and I got nothing done at all. I weeded the front garden which is a real pain because it is mostly covered in concrete tiles and gravel. This makes the larger weeds impossible to remove and so within days they have reinstated themselves proudly and defiantly. I am going to soak the entire area in strong weedkiller one of these days.

After that, I assembled our new garden furniture, made the dinner and got ready for work - yes work. I volunteered for a nightshift. Well the work is second hand to me and it meant I could get in some writing. That was the plan, but it turned out we had problems doing the installation and so by home time still nothing still been accomplished. I know I shouldn't moan, but I have to remind myself sometimes that writing has to take second place to the family, and that I cannot be seen to be sitting on my arse constantly while there is things around the house crying out to be done. Perhaps I will be rewarded in heaven - but I'd rather reep the benefits beforehand :-)

Sunday was quite pleasant. The sun was back out and I took the wife out to Fort Kinnaird to buy her a new suit for her new job tomorrow. While she picked out the one she wanted I nipped across to Borders and browsed the books. I picked up a copy of The Complete Works Of Edgar-Allan Poe. I have been wanting this book for a while now. I love how writing, the way he creates tension and doubt in his characters. I love how he takes what are sometimes such simple thoughts, and blossoms them on the page into extraordinary events.

I also picked up Don Quixote by Cervantes. This I bought out of pure curiosity. One of my favourite authors (Paul Auster) references Don Quixote extensively in some of his works. I have also heard people closer to home reference this book and so now I want to find out what all the fuss is about.

Speaking about Paul Auster, he was interviewed by BBC Radio 4's Book Club a while back and it was aired today at 4pm. I got home in time to hear him discussing his work on The New York Trilogy - my favourite of his novels - well three (it is a trilogy - City Of Glass, Ghosts and The Locked Room). The novel starts with a telephone ringing three times in the dead of night and on the third ring the protaganist, Quinn, answers the phone. This leads him into an adventure questioning his identity; I won't say any more - go read it. However, the fact is this actually happened to Paul while sitting at home and he often wondered what WOULD have happened had he answered the phone that third ring - which he never - but wrote a novel instead. The three novels together really make you think - and you have to think when reading this - you are coerced into it as they are all intertwined.

The more I read of Paul's work, the more I seem to get out of my own.

He also discussed the impression Don Quixote has on his life and his writing, and how every few years he goes back to it, reads it and uses it.

I simply MUST read this book.

Speaking of listening to writers talking, Ian Rankin OBE is appearing at Borders on Sunday 26th September to do a signing of his new novel Fleshmarket Close. I would love to go, but I will be in Newcastle that weekend to celebrating the birth of baby Abbi, the parents of whom are my good friends Mikey and Elaine Penman.

Talking to other writers is something I need to actively try and do more. The half hour of Paul Auster talking about his work opens up channels of thought, and I do a lot of discussing online - but I need more. I need to learn, to understand and to grow.
Colin 1:08 am

0 Comments:

Add a comment