Freedom From The Mundane - A Writer's Blog

Monday, September 06, 2004

Penance, And A Boy Called Jack

Last night after penning my weekend Blog, I read some stories by Poe; The Oblong Box, The Tell-Tale Heart and The Black Cat. All wonderful and perhaps not the best reading in bed, for I ended up dreaming of a cat that came to haunt me after being slaughtered by a fox. It haunted me because I witnessed it being killed and I did nothing.

Which reminded me of what I saw on Saturday night. I had nipped out to the front of the building at about midnight for a cigarette and was talking with one of our security guards. As we spoke, we witnessed a fox casually stroll up the road with something large and black hanging from it's mouth. It was a black cat, and it was dead. I joked about seeing posters on lampposts come Monday morning of someone looking for their pet. Perhaps that dream was my penance. Perhaps I won't be so quick to laugh in the face of nature next time.

I spent the afternoon working on a synopis and making a start to this new project - I gave it a working title also which I rather like. It will (probably) be called Hunting Jack and it is coming out very naturally - quite a frightening feeling. I printed off a worksheet for character development and filled in most of it without thinking wihin minutes. Jack is not a character based on anyone I have met, but for some reason, he has made himself easily approachable. I sense a long friendship is starting, and I get the feeling that no matter what I expect of him, he is not only going to surpass himself, but surprise me along the way. If I was casting in a move or a play, I would be positive that I have picked the right person for this part.

In the evening I cut out some pieces from the Sunday papers that I can use in some stories and stuck them away in my Ideas Folder. It is rapidly expanding which is good, though I have not had cause to refer to it of late due to all the stuff I am working on. I guess I've not been short of ideas, so I can't complain.

And so I settled down with my laptop early evening and began to type. I never stopped until after 1am - I had to force myself. Hunting Jack could well be the most stimulating piece of work I have written. One thing scares me though - the writing I am producing is of a different voice than previous works. I am unsure if this is down the genre I am writing in, or if it is a result of me working on something closer to home. Is it that I am landing in an area where I am as happy with my writers' voice, as I am with the result of my efforts?

Whatever it is, Hunting Jack is now 4400 words long and when I went back over it after the first draft, is easily divisable into 4 issues. I am definitely going to pitch this to Keep It Coming.net.

Speaking of publishing, several buddies of mine were published this week:

Joan
Ferrets For Fun
http://www.clevermag.com

Eva
The Goddess Greenroom
http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/goddess50.html

Brenda
A Soldier's Story
http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/soldier50.html

Go check them out!
Colin 1:58 pm

1 Comments:

Good luck on your pitch to KIC.

Brenda

Add a comment